Chapter 14

A/N: I'm finally back!! I hope you all enjoy this, so sorry for the long break❤️❤️ I love you all

Your eyes flicked over the poem before you, it had something to do with chimneys or angels. The homework was the lowest possible thing on your list of priorities at the moment as your mind swam with thoughts of Jack, Mark, and Rose.

Jack had been missing for the past week, not coming to school let alone home. Sadness flooded your thoughts as Mark stumbled into the kitchen. Though his physical wounds had healed he still looked beaten and broken.

His brown eyes met yours, looking glassy and tired. He grunted a hello to which you said nothing as he walked back to his room.

"Hey Y/N?" You heard a voice behind you and a felt a tap on your shoulder.

You scowled as Matt's blue eyes met yours, "I'm not in the mood."

He sighed and pulled out a chair, "Look I know I've been an ass in the past but you've been super down lately and I'm really worried about you, everyone is."

You looked up at him surprised to see a look of sheer sincerity and care on his face. He looked down and hesitantly took your hand in his, playing with your fingers gently.

He opened his mouth only to close it again as if he was considering what to say, "I know it might not be the best time, but do you want to go on a date with me? It might take your mind off this whole thing."

You stared at him and cocked your head to the side in thought. You had been feeling deathly alone recently and staying alone was only going to make you feel worse. Dan had Phil, Felix had Marzia, Jack was missing, and Mark was broken, Matt was all that was left.

He look hurt when you didn't respond right away and he dropped your hand, "I'm sorry it was wrong of me to-"

"No Matt wait, that would be great," You smiled weakly at him, "Just let me get ready and we'll go."

"Really? Awesome, I-I mean thank you."

Standing, you walked to your room to change out of the sweatpants and t-shirt you had been living in for the past few days.

"Is this really the right thing to do? What about Jack? No, Jack isn't here and I have to put myself first. I can't help anyone if I can't help myself."

In ten minutes you stood before Matt staring awkwardly at the floor. He smiled at you and lifted your head up to face his, "Hey, smile. This is going to fun, okay?"

You nod and force a smile at him.

The brisk air greets you quickly, waking you up as it engulfs you in a frosty embrace. You look down at your feet as they crunch through piles of dead leaves. Your head shot up as you felt a piles of leaves hit the back of your head with a soft thump.

Matt laughed loudly as you turned to face him, a look of surprise on your face, "Oh it's on!"

Grabbing a handful of leaves you tore after the boy, a genuine smile forming on your face. He sprinted away, still laughing. After constantly ducking behind trees and ninja rolling for cover, you and Matt threw hand over fistful of leaves at each other until you look like you had each had a fight with a bear.

Matt jogged to a stop in front of you, hands in the air in surrender, "You win, you win. I'm so tired"

You laughed and crossed your arms over your chest, breathing hard, "How should I punish you for losing?"

"Punish me?" His blue eyes shot open in exasperation, "Who gave you the right to punish me?"

"I appointed myself since I won," You stuck your tongue out at him.

He groaned and lolled his head back. As you tried to think you find your eyes wandering over the boy. His blond hair stuck up in every direction and you noticed a leaf tangled in it.

Instinctively you stepped forward and stood on your tiptoes, pulling the leaf from his blond locks. He looked down at you curiously, you only now realizing how close you two were.

You took a fast step back, "I- Sorry, there was a leaf..."

He said nothing as he stepped toward you and gently pulled a leaf from your own hair.

He smiled sheepishly down at you, "It's okay, you had one too."

You tried to take another step back only to find yourself falling instead of stepping. A pair of long arms quickly found purchase on your hips and you were pulled into Matt's chest.

His heartbeat was quick but steady, it calmed you and this time you didn't step away. You stood there for a minute as Matt's breathing steadied, his chest rising and falling against your cheek.

"I'll always be here to catch you, to protect you. To love you, even if you don't love me back," Matt's soft voice broke you from your trance.

"Matt I-"

He interrupted you, "Just please let me do this once and I'll never do it again."

Before you could react you felt his lips press against yours. He moved gently and slowly as though he was taking in every moment as though it was his last. Eyes wide, you were frozen with shock. Slowly, you closed your eyes and began to kiss him back.

You needed this. You felt bad for using Matt like this but, you need this.

"Y/N?" A familiar voice sounded beside you, it was broken and despaired.

Your eyes shot open once more and you quickly pushed away from Matt.

Dull blue eyes stared back at yours, "Jack?"

"What have I done?"