Chapter 12

Mark lay on the sofa, his eyes closed in a wince of pain.

"How are you? Can I get you anything?" You gently took his hand in yours.

Mark sighed and opened one eye to look at you, "I'm fine."

Pressing a quick kiss to his forehead you walked to the kitchen, leaving him to rest. You pulled out your phone, 1:15, you had barely made it halfway through the day. The rest of the boys should be having lunch right about now, they were most likely going to call asking where you were.

As if it was scripted your phone rang, Dan's name was displayed on your screen with a picture of him, eyes closed in a smile.

"Hey Dan," You leaned back on the counter as you brought the phone to your ear.

"Hey, where are you guys?" He sounded happy but with a twinge of worry.

You were silent, afraid of saying the wrong thing.

Dan laughed, "You don't have to tell me what you two are doing, we just want to know that you guys are safe."

Memories of your encounter with Jack in the halls flooded back, "We're safe."

Dan paused, "Are you sure? You don't sound like yourself..."

Shaking your head you forced yourself to sound happier, you didn't need to worry the boys anymore than necessary. It was better if they didn't know, "Yeah, we're all good. Don't worry."

He sounded relieved, "Okay good, by the way have you seen Mark anywhere?"

You immediately looked at Mark's broken and sleeping figure, even asleep it seemed as though there was a cloud of guilt hovering over him.

"Yeah, he's at home," Closing your eyes, you sighed and pinched the bridge of your nose.

"What? Really? Did he send you a text or something?" The British man's worry flooded back into his voice.

"Don't worry about it. He's safe, I'm safe... Jack's safe," You voice faltered slightly at your lie, "I'll explain everything after school. Don't let this ruin your day. Enjoy it, talk to Phil."

"Okay, I'll see you later then," He sounded almost suspicious as he hung up.

What was going on, why couldn't things just go nicely. Why did everything have to be so confusing.

You shook your head, hopefully a shower would help clear your thoughts.

[Time Skip]

Mark opened his eyes to look at you curiously as you sat on the sofa next to his face.

"Oh- Sorry, did I wake you?"

Mark shook his head, he sounded dismissive, "No it's fine."

He tried to sit up, nearly falling off the sofa as his body spasmed in pain.

"Hey, hey, take it easy. I don't want you getting any more hurt than you already are," You reached a hand out to support his shoulders as he lifted himself up again, this time slower.

Mark slapped your hand away angrily, "Stop it. I don't deserve your care."

"What are you talking about? I'm worried about you."

"Shut up! Stop worrying about me. I don't deserve for people like you to care about me. I'll only end up hurting you, just like Rose," A fresh tear ran down his cheek, creating a path for more to come.

"Rose?"

"Yes, Rose. Jack told everyone that she died in an accident, but it was my fault. It's my fault she's gone. He has a good reason to hate me," Mark stared at his hands.

"I'm sure it's not your fault. You're such a sweet person, you're like a hero to so many. I don't believe you could hurt someone intentionally if they weren't in the wrong. Especially your best friend's sister." Hesitantly you placed a hand on his shoulder, he flinched.

"I - I thought I was in love with her, but I ended up using her," Mark mumbled under his breath so you couldn't hear.

"What?"

His head shot up, "Nothing. I just...," He sighed, he looked defeated, "It's my fault."

"Do you want to tell me about it."

"I, um... not yet," His chocolate brown eyes started at you apologetically.

"It's okay, take your time." You smiled at him softly.

Pulling out your phone you checked the time, 2:55, "The rest of the boys will be back soon. Why don't we get you cleaned up a bit."

Mark said nothing as you disappeared to grab something from down the hall, "I'll be right back."

"I'm so sorry Jack. I can say it a thousand times but I know you won't forgive me. You shouldn't forgive me. I wish I had never dated Rose, I... I just wanted you. I love you Jack, and I always will. I'm sorry." Mark's voice came out quietly but clearly, a silent reminder to himself.