Chapter 12

"Hey!" Lia's white and yellow stripped bow came bouncing into my view as soon as I came down the stairs. "I made you something," She grabbed my hand and I let her as she pulled over to the couch where she was previously working on her art, I always adored how little kids are so innocent and creative, it held hope for the world. So yeah, art.

I didn't seem to see Eli anywhere in sight, I began to wonder what it was she interrupted our moment for. She sat down on the couch and I copied her action. On the brown wooden coffee table sat closely to the couch, were several pieces of white paper, looking closer some were baby blue, and they were cut beautifully with several different patterns and designs. Some even had designs printed on them with marker. "I made you this one. It's not the blue like your eyes, but close." She held up on of the baby blue snowflakes that was cut in a way I would never be able to pull off even being 16. "I asked Eli if I could make you something last night, he said yes, and I asked him what color, he said blue, his favorite."

I reached out and grabbed the pretty creation Lia had made for me and held it in my hands with a smile on my face.
"Did you make one with green paper? To match your eyes?" I asked her after happily observing the snowflake that was now mine.

She shook her head, "I'm happy I have green eyes, Eli said they were pretty, but he has my dad's eyes. He looks like him too." She sighed in a way that made me want to grab her and hug her. I loved the way she talked like an intellectual,  her big brother did the same. AnneMarie was doing something incredibly right. "Do you miss your dad now that he's gone?" I asked her playing with the snowflakes that were on the table as she was.

She nodded, "He's my dad. You'd miss him if you were my age too. Eli was almost 11 when he left, I was only 1. I still remember him. I used to think Eli was him for a short time."

"Sometimes dads aren't what we need them to be." I spoke fiddling with a piece of cut paper on the table.

"Is yours gone too? Do you miss him?"

"The dad I loved left when I was 6. I miss who he used to be." I knew she probably wouldn't understand this, but I think that made the conversation easier and maybe even better. Letty and I tried our best to ignore the topic, but it helped to say what I felt, even if it hurt a bit. "Say, do you want someone to play with? A girl maybe?"

"You know someone that would?" She asked with excitement plain on her face.

"My sister could come play with you. I think you'd love her." I suggested.

"Oh please! If she's like you! But a girl, wow!" She looked so happy and it made my lips pull into a grin.

"Where's your brother?" I asked her, standing up.

"He's making me Mac&Cheese in the kitchen! I was hungry." She said answering my unspoken question about what she wanted. I made my way into the kitchen to see Elijah standing in front of the stove with his hand on his hip reading the back of a Mac&Cheese box. I internally laughed at that, did he really need help cooking cheesy noddles?

He looked my way for a second to see I was a few feet away from him, then turned his eyes back to the book with a small close smile on his lips. Water was boiling in a small pot on the stove, he didn't seem to understand what to do next apparently. "You know," He spoke without looking at me, his eyes still reading the box. "The living room isn't that far away."

"Yeah?" I said confused.

He turned his head looking at me for a second, then turning back the stove setting the box down. "I could hear everything you were talking about."

I don't know if I cared about this or not. So what, he heard a conversation I had with his sister. "I heard you earlier too." His back was facing me still, he was turning a spoon around in the pot.