Chapter 27

I was at the police station for a while, sitting in the interview room as they ask me questions on what had happened. I hated recalling the whole situation and all I wanted was to just get out of here to see Trey.

After what was for a long time, I was allowed to go while Liam was still being hold in custody. I leave the station with Mrs Kingston.

"I just got off the phone with Mr Morgan," Mrs Kingston says as we walk to the car. "Trey's parents are at the hospital, and he is heading back to the school. Trey is still in surgery. Would you like to come back to the school to speak with the counsellor there? I won't make you do any school work today."

I shake my head, dreading to see the counsellor. I didn't want to talk to anyone about what was running through my mind right now. The only thing that was on my mind was my best friend who I cannot get out of my head when I saw the way he had looked at me when he was stabbed and when he collapsed to the ground, watching as he prepared for the last moments of his life. All I wanted was to go see Trey.

"Actually, I would like to go see Trey, please," I tell her. "I don't mind spending the day at the hospital. My mom works there."

I thought she would argue with me, and tell me I wasn't allowed to go there, but she doesn't. She nods, and tells me she will take me there. Maybe she would end up speaking to Trey's parents, who I knew were going to strangle Mrs Kingston's neck for allowing this to happen to their son. It isn't Mrs Kingston's fault for any of this. It's my fault. I'm the one who didn't come forward soon enough to report Liam. Although, I was not aware he was going to kill me in front of everyone in our school. I still don't know why he even did that. Was it the anger building up inside of him that eventually took over?

*****

We found Trey's parents in the ER waiting room. Mrs Cole had tissues in her hands as she cried with her husband's arms around her, waiting for the doctor to deliver the news of what's happening to their son.

Mrs Kingston approaches them and asks what the latest news was with Trey.

"He is still in surgery," Mr Cole answers.

"What happen?" Mrs Cole dabs the tissue around her puffy red eyes. "How did this incident happen to Trey?"

"He saved my life," I tell them. "I was the one who was supposed to have been stabbed, but Trey pushed me out of the way."

Trey's parents stands there for a moment staring at me, but had no words to say. They turn to Mrs Kingston.

"Who did this to our son?" Mr Cole asks. "Was it a kid name Liam Foley? Trey has been telling us a lot about that kid and what he has been doing to Zach. He keeps asking us for advice on how he should protect him from this bully, afraid of what he may do."

Mrs Kingston nods, slowly. "Yes, it was Liam Foley who did this to your son. He is now in police custody."

"Good. It's about bloody time something about that kid has been done. Do you have any idea how many times Trey has come home, worried about what he was going to do to Zach or even to him?"

"Trey has come to me about it with concerns of what was going on."

"And why the hell didn't you do anything about it?" Mr Cole raises his voice. Everybody in the waiting room was starting to turn their heads towards us. "You're the principal of the school. Why didn't you stop this before it got out of hand?"

Mrs Kingston takes a small deep breathe to stay calm without raising her own voice. "Mr Cole, I appreciate that you don't raise your voice at me."

Mr Cole points his index finger at the principal. "Don't you tell me not to raise my voice, Mrs Kingston. You are the one who should be protecting my son, as well as the others from bullies or from any kind of violence in the school."