Chapter 2

If I could have any super power, it would to be invisible.

I hid in the bathroom and cleaned myself up as much as I could before the bell rang for third period. I had no spare clothes to change into, and I did not want to wear my gym clothes that was covered in my own sweat and odour. So I had no choice but to walk around school for the rest of the day with ketchup and milk stains.

As much as I tried to avoid Liam for the rest of the day, I couldn't avoid him in the halls. When he had the chance he would bump into me or push me into the lockers.

I was glad for the final period of the day – German – the one class I look forward to the most because of Emily. I sit behind her in class, staring at the back of her head, listening to Mr Johannesburg the best I could.

When the bell rings, I couldn't be happier for school to end. I gather up my things and stand up from my seat.

Emily turns around to face me, smiling, which only makes my heart leap for joy. "Hey, Zach, I –"

Mr Johannesburg calls out to Emily, asking if he could see her. Emily moves over to his desk. Rather than waiting for her, I headed out to the door, heading to my locker in hope I do not bump into Liam. He had basketball practice this afternoon so maybe he won't be in the halls.

I make it to my locker without any trouble. I place the books I didn't need into my locker, and then place the ones I needed into my bag.

Before I started heading to the front entrance of the school, I glance around for Liam or even one of his friends. I don't see them. Swinging my bag over my shoulder, I headed to the entrance.

As I was walking across the grass to the street, someone called my name. My heart is caught in my throat when I recognise Emily's voice. I stop and turn to see her walking over to me.

"Hey, I'm glad I caught you before you left," she says as she stood in front of me. "I thought you might wait when Mr Johannesburg called me back, but you didn't."

My heart leaps for joy in my chest. Emily wanted me to wait for her, but I was stupid enough to leave. I want to kick myself. As much as I have a massive crush on her, it was hard for me to accept that she was dating Liam Foley.

Panic suddenly rashes over me, knowing that if Liam sees me speaking to Em, I will be done for.

"Y-You shouldn't be speaking to me," I remind her. "Liam won't like it."

Emily rolls her eyes. "Liam can't control me to who I can and can't talk to. He thinks he can, but he can't. Listen, I just want to apologise for what my boyfriend did today at lunch. He shouldn't have done that. Are you okay from what happened?"

A lump forms in my throat. I couldn't believe she had to apologise for that jerk's behaviour. He should be the one to make that apology. But I'm pretty sure that Liam's IQ is probably low, especially with how he let's popularity get to his head, that he probably doesn't even know how to apologise or know the meaning to sorry.

I want to tell her how I really felt towards her and how I thought Liam wasn't right for her. But I keep my mouth shut.

"I'm fine," I answer.

She nods, smiling. "That's good to know."

I give her a half smile. I was about to turn to leave when she stops me again.

"Zach, Mr Johannesburg said my grades are slipping in German, and he wants me to either study harder or find a tutor to help with my grades. I could choose the study option, but German is not something I'm good with. I know you're top of the class with the language, so I was wondering if you would like to tutor me."

Butterflies appeared all of a sudden in my stomach when she asked me the question. The thought of tutoring her and getting closer to her excited me. But then the excitement disappeared. What would Liam say knowing I was spending time with his girl? Would he even accept the tutoring?

"I-I would love too, but Liam wouldn't like it."

Emily rolls her eyes. "Again, I don't care what he says. Look, don't worry about him. Let me deal with him. Yes, he will be pissed, but I will tell him it's for studies and to leave you alone about it. So will you tutor me?"

I nod my head. "S-Sure."

Emily smiles, which made my heart melt in my chest. "Great. I will let you know tomorrow when it's the best time to have the tutoring and where we can do it. See you tomorrow, Zach."

I watch her walk away, joining her friends who were waiting for her near the student car park. I stared at her a little longer than I should because the next thing I knew, I was in a head lock.

"How many times do I need to tell you, Zach, to keep your eyes off my girl?" Liam says.

"I-I wasn't."

"Zach, don't lie to your pal."

"You aren't my pal."

"Well, we could be if you weren't so much of a loser." He releases me and points his index finger at me. "Now, don't let me catch you staring at her again or there will be some serious consequences. You got it, Four Eyes?"

I don't answer him. Without saying anything else to me, he left me to head over to Emily. Strange. I thought he had basketball practice this afternoon. Maybe he was just seeing Emily before he heads to practice.

I stand there watching them as he wraps his arms around Emily's waist and then pulls her closer to him, kissing her lips. I turn away, not wanting to see them tongue each other. It didn't help with the crush feeling I had in my chest, wishing the girl I had a crush on was with me and not with the most popular boy in school. And yet, I still can't work out why he is so popular or what makes him so great.

I force myself to let it go and there was no use upsetting myself by standing there watching them. It's what Liam would want, to make me jealous that he is with the most beautiful girl and I'm not.

I walk the forty minutes home. I could catch the school bus, but the kids on there were never very nice to me so to avoid trouble I just walk home. I listen to music, blocking the world and my thoughts out of my head.

When I reach my house, I see the moving truck in the neighbour's house to the right. The house had been emptied for a month. I peak over the wooden fence that divides my property with theirs to catch a glimpse of my new neighbours. A teenage boy around my age was playing basketball in the driveway. I watch him. He didn't take any notice as his main focus was on the ball.

An Islander woman walks out of the house. "Trey, put that ball away and help out with unloading."

Trey throws the ball one last time through the hoop. The ball rolls over to the fence. He goes to grab it, and when he does, he sees me. I suddenly felt bad for watching him and thought he will yell at me for watching him, do something physically like Liam would, but he doesn't. Instead he just waves.

"Hey, I'm Trey."

I return the wave. "Zach."

"Trey, I don't have all day," his mother says.

Trey rolls his eyes, putting the ball under his arm and then walks over to grab a box from the truck.

I choose that moment to head inside my empty home. Mom's car wasn't in the driveway and I had no idea when she will be back from her shift at the hospital where she worked as a nurse.

It was just Mom and me. My so-called father left as soon as he found out my mother was pregnant with me. Some days it was lonely when she wasn't around, especially when she was on night shift. But at least I had my Himalayan cat, Violet, to keep me company when Mom was not at home.

As soon as I walked through the door, Violet jumped off her cat scratcher and ran over to me, rubbing herself up against my feet, purring. I bend over and picked her up, cuddling her.

"Hey, girl. You miss me?"

Violet meows happily.

"Aw, I miss you too, girl. Come on, let's sit on the couch so I can do some homework and then we can cook dinner before Mom gets home."