Chapter 24

I stayed home from school for the day, and Mom took the day off from work to spend time with me. Mostly I just think she was afraid to leave me alone. We sat on the couch together, talking about what have been happening for the past few weeks, telling her everything that I had kept a secret from her. Spilling those secrets helped with the weight that has been on my shoulders for so long.

Around noon Mom went to go make us lunch. Trey texts me, telling me what a drag school is without me there. He also promised me that he will be over later after school with the school work I needed to catch up on.

While I waited for Mom to make lunch, I sit on the couch, stroking Violet's back where she lay beside me, drifting off to sleep, I think about how I was going to tell Mrs Kingston everything about Liam and his cruel actions. The thought of coming out with the truth about what I had kept as a secret for so long terrified me. But in the end I know it will make me feel better, just like it did when I finally confessed to Mom. Trey even promised me he will go to the principal with me if I didn't think I could go at it alone.

Later after lunch someone knocked on the door. Mom goes to answer.

"Hey, I was just wondering if Zach is home." I jot my head up towards the front door at the sound of Kara's voice. "I just want to see how he is after yesterday."

I stood up from the couch. "Hi, Kara. What are you doing here? Don't you have a class?"

Mom moves a side for her to enter, closing the door behind Kara. She says she will leave us two alone and wanders off to the kitchen.

Kara walks over to me. "I have a free period, and I thought I would stop by to see how you were doing. Trey said you were doing well."

I nod, looking down at where I still had the bandage from surgery wrapped around my arm. The doctor wanted me to keep it on there for a couple of days, changing the dressing until the stitches were taken out. "He is right. I'm doing alright. I have the day off today and I should be back at school by tomorrow."

She smiles. "That's good to hear. I was really worried about you."

"I'm sorry for what you had to see."

"It's alright. I understand why you did what you did. I just wished you handle it differently rather than choosing to end your life."

"I know I should have. I'm going to fix it all tomorrow when I go back to school."

"Trey mentioned that. I just want you to know that I completely support you, and I'm there if you need me."

I smile at her. "Thanks."

We stand there in silence, not knowing what to say. What do I say to her?

"Listen, I wondering if you would like to go out with me sometime?" Kara speaks first. "It doesn't have to be today. I understand if you need your rest."

I stand there speechless; surprised she had asked me out. We have only just started talking on Friday. After what happened with Emily, I wasn't sure if I wanted to be with her. Kara was a lovely girl, but I wasn't sure if going out with her was something I was ready for.

"Kara, you're a nice girl and I would really like to get to know you a bit more, but not right now," I tell her. "I hope you don't take this personally, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to date someone after what Emily did to me. I mean, I know we didn't go out with each other, but she has hurt me a lot with how she had treated me."

Kara nods, disappointed, and it made me feel guilty for turning her down. "I understand, Zach. Just let me know when you change your mind."

I smile at her. "I will."

She returns the smile and tells me she will see me in school tomorrow.

Tomorrow. The thought terrified me. Tomorrow will be the day I finally speak up about Liam. I wasn't sure how it will play out tomorrow, but I do hope everything will turn out right.

A/N: Sorry for writing such a short chapter. I wasn't really sure what to write for this one. What do you guys think about Kara? Do you think she and Zach should get together?

So anyway, in the next chapter Zach is going to come forward about how Liam treats him. What do you think will happen? How is Liam going to take it when he is finally exposed? Tell me your thoughts below.

And don't forget to check out my story Silent Love which is now available to purchase on Amazon.