Chapter 13

By the afternoon the next day I was a nervous wreck. It's bad enough throughout the day I was nervous whenever I saw Emily in the halls, the cafeteria or even in the classroom, as well as worried at what Liam would do to me if he catches me staring at his girlfriend. He had asked me today how my head was and then laugh with his friends about how he had kicked the ball at my head.

When school let out for the day, I met up with Trey so we could start our walk home. I spot Emily at the front of the school with Liam. He had her pushed up against his car with his lips against hers. I try not to stare at them for too long, because if Liam glances my way and sees me watching them, he will be over here in an instant to fix me up for laying my eyes on Em.

"Come on, Zach," Trey says, putting his arm around me and steers me towards the street. "Forget about that jerk right now. Let's get you home and ready for your study date with your dream girl."

I raise an eyebrow at him. "Study date? Trey, we are just having a tutoring session. Nothing is going to happen between us."

"You never know. All you need is to be is in a moment where it seems like the perfect moment to kiss."

"Emily is with Liam. She has no interest in me."

"You never know. So what time is she coming over?"

"She said she will meet me in an hour."

"Perfect."

I stare at him with a puzzle look. "Why is that perfect?"

"It's enough time for me to teach you how to speak to a girl."

My cheeks feel hot from the embarrassment I felt from just thinking of how I always speak around Emily. I had no problem speaking to a girl and I was able to do it without stuttering. It was only Emily Gosling who I had trouble speaking to. Her beauty, her sweet and gentle voice is what freezes me up every time I'm around her. And it makes me even more nervous, scared shitless actually, knowing Liam is nearby, watching my every move and not knowing what he will do to me if I try to talk to her.

"There's no reason for you to do that," I tell him.

"Come on. I can give you some tips on how to keep calm when speaking to her."

"Thanks for the offer, Trey, but I will be fine."

"Are you sure?"

I was sure. Maybe I would be less nervous without Liam being around.

Oh who am I kidding? Oh course I'm still nervous around her without her boyfriend.

By the time I got home, I had half an hour to spare before the girl of my dreams was entering my house for the first time. I got my book ready, setting it on the coffee table in the living room. I thought of making a snack but I wasn't sure what she would like.

As soon as I hear her knocking on my front door, my nerves began to kick in. I took a few deep breathes before answering the door. When I open it to reveal her standing on the door step, my heart beats fast in my chest that I was so terrified that she could hear it. Can she hear it?

"Em-Em-Emily."

She smiles brightly at me. "Hey, Zach."

"C-Come o-on I-In." I move aside for her to enter. Once she was inside and closed the door. I ask her if she wanted anything to eat or drink, but she answers no.

We sit down on the couch. I grab my book from the table and flip through it. She pulls out her book from her bag, setting the bag down on the floor beside her feet.