Chapter 18

Alex's POV

"Alexander!"

"Eliza!" I responded, quite irritated. Eliza glared at me, her hands on her hips. "Why can't you just go! It's Spring Break! Everyone's going! Me, Angelica, Peggy, John, and Hercules."

"Lafayette isn't going."

"He's going to France."

I grumbled my response and crossed my arms. "I have work, you know this."

"Well, why can't you just take a break! Please, just this once. Your only in college." I looked up at Eliza, my eyes narrowed. "Only in college? Excuse me, these are the most important years of my life. I want to get somewhere I'm sorry." Eliza stared at me, and her eyes narrowed.

"Fine." She mumbled, "But just remember, we're leaving in three days if you change your mind."

"I'll let you know if I do." And with that, Eliza was gone. I sighed, and sat back on my bed and stared forward. I felt bad for not going, I really did but Washington needed me, and I was not planning on letting him down.

A few minutes later, John walked through the doors and looked at me. He smiled, "Hello." I looked up at him, "Hi." I mumbled.

John made his way over to me, and sat beside me and I looked at him.

"So. How're you?"

Alex shrugged, "Alright I guess."

John nodded and pulled out his phone, "A thunder storm is supposed to come later."

"What?"

"A storm. There's a possibility of it turning into a tornado, but it's low."

I stared at him. He doesn't know. He's going to find out. "When?"

"Around 6 ish." I quickly grabbed my phone, it was 5:30. I bit my lip. "Oh."

*******

Johns POV

It was around 8:00 now, and Alex was just under his covers. I just guessed he fell asleep, after I mentioned the storm he had quickly gone under the covers. I decided not to mess with him, in case he was asleep, because recently, he hadn't gotten much of it.

I stared at my phone, playing flappy bird when a loud crack of thunder boomed, followed by lighting. I jumped a little, but I wasn't really afraid of storms it just kinda spooked me.

I sat there, playing my game and listening to the rain until soon, I realized I had heard some whimpering. I blinked, and turned to the sound, which was Alex's bed.

I stared at it for a while, until the thunder sounded again and more whimpers. I blinked, then stood up and walked over to Alex. I sat on the bed beside him, and saw the covers were shaking.

I slowly grabbed them, then pulled them off. I stared in shock at the sight in front of me. Alex was curled up in a ball, shivering and tears streaming down his face. His hands covered his ears and he had his eyes shut tightly.

"Alexander?" I murmured, then Alex's eyes shot open, and he immediately sat up and looked at me, his eyes huge.

"O-Oh John! Hi! I- um- caught something in my eye..." He mumbled rubbing the back of his head. I stared at him, but didn't say anything. Soon the thunder cracked once more and Alex yelped, and jumped forward hugging me.

I stared at Alex, before I slowly wrapped my arms around him then rested my chin on his head. We sat there in silence for a while, just holding each other while it rained. Every time it thundered Alex would jump and I would whisper soothing words to him.

We sat there for a while, until the storm slowly seemed to stop. I reached over and grabbed my phone to check the forecast. "It's over." I said with a small smile, setting my phone back down and I looked at Alex.

He was passed out. I lightly laughed, then tucked him under the covers and walked to my own bed.

*******

The next morning I woke up and turned to Alex. He sat on his bed, staring forward and hugging his knees. "Goodmorning."

Alex whipped around and looked at me, his eyes huge. "John! Oh my- er- I'm sorry about last night.. that you had to see me like that. It won't happen again, I promise." He said, straightening his back.

I looked at him and shrugged, "Don't worry about it. So, you have a fear of storms? Or?"

Alex looked at me and merely shrugged, "Yeah, I guess.. but I have a good explanation on why, and that I'm not just a huge baby."

I looked at him and sighed, "Everyone has fears, you're not a baby, and you're probably not the first person to be afraid of storms."

"I know. But listen, before I came here, to America there was a-"

"Alex, you don't have to tell me."

"But I want to. Now shush, and let me talk." He muttered, looking at me. I looked at him and sighed, "Alright, continue."

Alex smiled, "Alright, so before I came to America there was a huge hurricane. It destroyed everything, and everyone. I was lucky enough to survive. Well, me along with my brother were one of the only survivors." He murmured, and I looked at him.

"Did your parents... not make it?"

Alex looked up at me, and shook his head. "No. Well, I mean they never made it long enough to live through the hurricane. My father left when I was 10, I kept in contact with him until I came to America. We kinda lost contact then. But, my mother died two years after my father had left. When I was 12, we were both terribly sick, and well, I got better and she... didn't."

I stared at him, and he let his gaze drift to the floor. Despite his backstory, he was actually staying pretty cool about this. If it were me I'd be breaking down as of right now, but he didn't. He still sat up straight, but his gaze looked at the floor. It wasn't as if he were sad, he looked strong and defiant, as if he were ready to face on the world.

*******

Woah look there's the cliché storm chapter everyone was waiting for. Don't deny it, we all knew it was coming. Maybe even if it wasn't the Laurens Pamphlet, but who knowsss! And look, I'm actually back on my schedule. ALSO THERES FREAKING 12K+ VIEWS 800+ VOTES AND 1K+ COMMENTS JUST- HOW my god this- ah thank you all!