"Won't you be happy if Beau finds his mate? That's a key moment in a werewolf's life, right?"

"I know, I know – I sound like a shitty friend." He glowered darkly at the tomato on the chopping board as though he wanted to strangle it.

"But you don't want to lose him to some girl who suddenly arrived and tore him away from his life-long best friend." I finished for him.

He nodded. It was only then that I noticed the dark eye bags surrounding his eyes, his blood-shot eyes and faint stubble growing on his jaw line, so slight I barely saw it until I squinted.

"Daniel, what's going on with you? You look... Well, to put it kindly, you look a mess." I frowned.

He looked down at himself as though remembering where he was.

"I'm fine! Why, do I look bad?" He asked worriedly.

"You look tired... and hungover. The result of a bad nights drinking I presume." I declared. "Or let me guess, you were up all night, tossing and turning because of Beau and Barbara."

His smile dropped away. "No."

My mouth fell open. "It is because of that, isn't it?" I was met with a stony silence. "Look, you guys are bound to grow up. I mean sure, hanging out and drinking and whatever else you guys do is all well and good. It's part of growing up. But there's a stage where you mature – maybe Beau's doing just that. Isn't finding a mate the best thing for a werewolf? It completes you and all?" I asked softly. "But, you'll find your mate too Daniel - even if you don't, you have us," I gripped his hand. "And Beau will still love you, I know he will – no-one leaves their friends for a partner... You and Beau are like Dick and Dom. He would probably ask your permission before he takes any action with her!"

"That's true." He admitted, a small smile playing at the corners of his lips.

"You and Beau will still be wing men for each other; he'll never forget about you. He's just growing up and I just know he'll want you there with him."

"Damn April, you really are a good relationship giver."

I pretended to flick a speck of dust off my shoulder. 

I paused, fretfully chewing on my lower lip in debate. Finally, I mustered the courage to ask the one thing that had been gnawing at me since I came down to the kitchen: "Daniel... Did you know...? Maria?"

His head shot up and his expression turned wary. "Why?"

"I know who she is, Aiden's mother... It's just... I was curious about her. Aiden told me everything, don't worry. But... I just wanted to know what she was like – did you know her?"

He nodded tiredly. "Well, I didn't really know her very well; what I do remember was that she was kind and always smelled of cookies." He said. "Aiden was pretty cut up about her and things got complicated since her death. Diego is the one who's known him the longest – they grew up together and he was there during his mother's funeral – the rest of us grew closer during high school."

"Right." I nodded thoughtfully to myself and smiled, thanking him as I scrambled off the chair.

I was just about to leave, when his voice stopped me. "April!" I turned. "Thanks."

I smiled. "Talk to him." 

Then, I turned on my heel and ran as silently as I could up the stairs until I reached my room. But I couldn't seem to get to sleep without feeling like I was about to be consumed by water, feeling terrified that I would go to sleep and never wake up - not just for another 6 months, but ever.