Chapter Thirty Nine

Morgan's POV

I walked back home quickly as if someone was following me. I assumed that the girl at the front door at Kelley's house was her sister, Erin, because they looked pretty similar but that's just me. I let out a sigh of relief as I got home safely. I was also thankful that my mom was no longer home. There was no way I was going to deal with her.

After I took a shower, I sat on my bed and stared up at the white ceiling. I breathed in and out trying to calm myself down but I didn't know why I felt so anxious. I guess being away from Kelley really affected me. I wanted to be in her arms, that's exactly where I wanted to be.

Not in my home feeling alone, vulnerable, and afraid. All I know is that I am safe wherever Kelley was. I don't think Kelley even knows how much she has impacted my life and I wanted to tell her. I wanted to tell her how much I appreciated her.

I heard a knock on my bedroom door and I looked up to see JJ in the door frame. She had a look on her face that I couldn't quite read as I sat up in my bed and she walked over to my bedside. JJ was someone I trusted, she was my best friend.

"Hey." I say with a smile and she looked at me with no expression.

"What are you doing?" She asks me and I look at her confused. What did she mean?

"What?" I ask for clarification.

"You're fading away, that's what. Y'know, I used to come to you for everything and you came to me for everything and now it's almost like you aren't here anymore." JJ says and now I was more confused than ever before.

"Julie, what are you talking about?" I ask and all she does is shake her head.

"Why don't we hang out anymore? Why do we hardly ever talk?" She asks.

"We do hang out and what are we doing now? Talking."

"That's not the point, Morgan! You're supposed to be my best friend and lately you haven' t been acting like it. What is it? What could you possibly be hiding from me to make you ignore me?" JJ asks and tears were starting to form in her eyes and I knew that this wasn't good at all.

JJ never cried.

"I'm not hiding anything from you." I say as I stand up to face her. Then, I thought about Kelley. I was hiding something from her but I couldn't tell her that.

"Then why do you keep ignoring me?" JJ asked and her face began to turn red.

"I'm not ignoring you, Julie! I don't understand why you're so upset because I'm always around." I say not meaning to raise my voice.

"That's the thing! You don't understand because you're to oblivious to realize that you're never around anymore. You ignore my phone calls and text messages and I don't know what to do." Julie says and this time tears were rolling down her cheek.

"I'm sorry, okay? Is that what you want me to say?"

"Sorry? That's all you have to say? Damn it, Morgan that's bullshit! Every time you choose to ignore me our friendship starts to tare apart and I don't think you're even aware of that!"

I didn't have anything to say. It was now that I realized I never really spent time with my best friend anymore. She was there for me when no one else was. She opened up her home for me whenever I needed it. She was such an amazing friend but I was turning my back against her.

"Do you even care about our friendship anymore?" Julie asks as she wipes her tears with the back of her hand.

"Of course I do." I say as I reach for her hand but she pulls away from me.

"Doesn't seem like it... you're not making an effort to try and bring us back together." JJ says as she starts heading to my door but I stop her.

"Where are you going?" I ask and she stops to face me.

"Somewhere else where someone will actually talk to me not ignore me like you do."

"Fine, then leave!" I say and I felt the pain begin to rise up.

"I will! The next time you see me don't even talk to me." Julie says and with that she was gone.

What did I do to deserve this?