Chapter Twenty Two

Kelley's POV

At this point I couldn't even deny the feelings I had for Morgan Brain. Looking at her today and actually talking with her made me realize that I really did miss her.

That time we almost kissed felt so right but I knew it was wrong. She was one of my players and I was her coach. I knew it would be wrong if we did go out but what were the chances?

I was 5 years older than her. Yeah, Morgan was beautiful and mature considering that she was 23 years old. I didn't want to accept the fact that we couldn't be together because it would be wrong but I wanted to. She made me feel a certain way and I couldn't let that go.

I just couldn't.

I glanced over at Morgan as she stared out the window but I felt so relieve. Our spark was finally coming back and whenever I look at her I just feel so.... happy.

I didn't want her to sleep alone at the small house that she lives in. I didn't want her to be alone at all.

I knew that her mom wouldn't be there because she just never was which made me angry. Morgan didn't deserve to live the life she currently lived. She was a smart and talented girl and she deserved to be happy.

I wanted to make her happy.

I pulled up in her driveway but I didn't want to leave her, not yet.

"Can I use the bathroom?" I ask as she unbuckles her buckle and opens her side of the door.

"Uh... sure." Morgan answers as she closes the car door. I follow her up the steps to her front door. She opened the door and I looked around the room. It was the same as last time, things cluttered the floor and it really wasn't the most suitable place to live in.

"Down the hall to your left." Morgan says. I just nod as I follow her directions. I find the bathroom and I close the door, locking it behind me. I really didn't have to use the bathroom, it was just an excuse just so I could stay with her a little while longer. My feelings for her were just this bad to the point where I had to make excuses just to be with her.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I took my pony tail out and I let my light brown hair fall down past my shoulders. I splashed cold water on my face as I got myself together. Being around Morgan did make me nervous but I shouldn't be intimidated by her but I was.

I wanted to look good for her and I know that we just came from practice but I always felt the need to impress her for some reason. I let out a sigh as I flushed the toilet even though I didn't use it. I walked out the bathroom and I saw Morgan sitting at the kitchen table with textbooks and notebooks surrounding her.

Right. She was a college student, of course she had homework to do.

I sat across from her and she just looked so innocent and vulnerable. She looked up from what she was doing and a small smile formed on her face. I loved seeing her smile, even if it wasn't big or even if it was forced. She was beautiful either way.

"Did you really have to use the bathroom?" She asked as she put her pen down and looked straight into my eyes.

"No... I just wanted to-" I stopped myself, I couldn't tell her that I only wanted to spend time with her.

"Talk?" Morgan asked as she finished my sentence for me.

"Yeah." I say a bit relieved. Morgan stood up and walked to her fridge as she pulled out two bottles of water. She handed me one as she sat on the kitchen counter. I began to study her features. From the first time I saw her she was skinny, it looked like she hasn't been eating much, she looked tired, and she was just a mess. Looking at her now, she's gotten better. Her face was more full, she didn't seem as pale, and she just seemed healthier and I was happy about that.

"Can I ask you something?" Morgan asked me.

"Yeah."

"Where's the ring?" She asked. I followed her eyes and I looked down at my ring finger which used to have a promise ring and eventually an engagement ring.

"Morgan, why do you care so much about that?" I ask as I let out a sigh.

"Because I do... Does he love you?" She asks and this time, I knew I had to answer.

"I did."

"Did?" Morgan asked and I watch as she raises an eyebrow.

"He proposed to me last week but... I turned him down." I say as I began to think about Logan. I still felt bad for turning him down like that. He was such a good guy.

"What happened?" Morgan asks.

"Things... they didn't work out." I reply. For some reason, I felt tears beginning to form in my eyes and I did my best to fight them back. I couldn't cry in front of her, I didn't want to.

As I felt the first tear begin to leave my eye, I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to force the tears back. Then, there were soft hands on both of my cheeks and I felt my lips collide with softer ones and my heart was beating faster at each passing second.

I opened my eyes and saw Morgan standing in front of me but I was in a daze. I couldn't comprehend what had just happened.

She kissed me.

***

#SheBelieves