After her dress was on. Esme helped me into mine, I was still unsure if I could pull this off.

 Esme helped me into mine, I was still unsure if I could pull this off

"Ladies, it's time. Single file line at the top of the stairs please." A woman called out.

I turned to Esme. "I can't do this."

She smiled. "Yes you can, cause girl, you coming home with me after this." She winked.

I blushed and shook my head, laughing at her dirty comment.

"Come on hot stuff." Esme said dragging me over to the door where we were greeted with the line of other girls. Esme and I slipped into the middle of the line and she held my hand reassuringly.

"So who's this... guy...?" I asked slowly, running my hand nervously over the dress.

Esme squealed. "Nate, he's like hubba bubba, drool candy." 

I elbowed her. "If you like him so much then why isn't he your date?" 

Esme rolled her eyes. "Because mother has had my date ready for the past five years."

I laughed, only to get hushed by everyone in the line. 

The line slowly inched forward as the girls were 'introduced to society'. This whole thing is very strange.

"Miss Esmeralda Andrews, escorted by Michael Lewis." A woman said from the bottom of the stair case.

Esme squeezed my hand before walking down the stairs slowly and elegantly.

The people at the bottom applauded and there was a brief silence.

"Miss Alanna-Belle Thompson, escorted by Nate Lemmings." The woman said.

I took a deep breath before starting my slow decent down the stairs. Was I being elegant like Esme? Could I even do elegance? The stair case was very tall so it took a while before I reached the bottom. My eyes found Noah's and I couldn't help but smile.

A man grabbed my hand like a king holding the queen's hand. I'm assuming he was Nate. He lead me over to the row of girls in white dressed who stood next to men in tux's. "It's very nice to meet you Miss Thompson." He whispered in my ear.

I blushed at how close he was to me. "Please, call me Alanna."

He nodded.

I looked over to see Esme raising an eyebrow at me. I shrugged.

"Miss Elena Mercedes, escorted by Noah Andrews."

My breath hitched in my throat. Why was I so surprised? I knew he would be her with his ex. I watched as a beautiful woman walked down the staircase, she was glowing with beauty. I looked down, suddenly feeling self-conscious.

Noah held her hand like Nate had held mine. They walked over and joined the end of the line next to Nate and I. 

Noah smiled at me but i quickly averted my eyes away from him.

Someone squeezed my hand. "You okay?" Nate whispered in my ear.

I nodded, that's all I was able to do.

"Esme told me you get anxious, so if you get anxious at anytime tonight, tell me and I'll help you." Nate said kindly.

I nodded and smiled up at him. "Thank you." I whispered back.

"Are you anxious right now?"

I nodded.

His hands went to my hips. "Deep breaths, we have to have one dance before we can go out for fresh air. It'll be over before you know it."

I smiled and nodded.

It was another ten minutes before all the girls had come down the stairs. Then we were told to get into positions and music started. Nate talked me through every step of the dance. He helped me through the whole thing. 

I was relieved when the song ended. I leaned against Nate for a few seconds, tired, before pulling away and looking around the room. My eyes landed on Noah, his lips fully on his date's.

"Alanna? Is everything ok?" Nate's voice seemed far away.

I shook my head.

"Oh."

I looked up to see he was looking at what I had just been watching. I sighed and felt my eyes fill with tears. 

"Hey, shhh. He's a jerk ok? Come with me?" Nate said.

I nodded and let him pull me out of the ball room. I held onto his hand tightly as he pulled me though the many halls of this massive house. We eventually ended up outside. The fresh air filled my lungs. I leaned against Nate, my legs feeling tired and weak after the dance and the running through the halls.

"So how do you know him?" Nate asks after a few minutes. He ran his hands up and down my arms, trying to keep me warm.

I shook my head. "Can we not talk about... him?" I asked quietly.

Nate nodded. "What do you want to talk about then?"

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"Tell me about you?" Nate asked and trailed his finger down my neck.

I shivered under his touch. "There's not much to tell."

"Alanna-Belle? Are you out here?" Noah's voice called out.

I sighed and hid my face in Nate's chest. "I'm not here." I whispered.

Nate pulled away. "I have an idea."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Alanna-Belle, please come back inside." Noah called out again.

"Just go with it ok?" Nate said shortly before pulling me tightly against him. His hands cupped my face.

"Alanna-Belle?"

I couldn't wait for Nate's move, I made mine. I stood on my tip-toes and pressed my lips against Nate's. 

Nate moved his hands down to my waist, pulling me closer to him. His lips smiled against mine as he kissed me back.

"Alanna.... oh..." Noah's voice sounded sad, so said that it made the tears spill from my eyes.

******

Comment and Vote

What did you think?