Chapter XLV

Semyaza stood in the shadows between two marble multi-story high columns. The beveled objects surrounded the outer exterior of the massive weapons vault like cylindrical soldiers. He sneered as he stared out over the pretty landscape of green and blue; a sickeningly false vision unlike anything on Earth. The Watcher observed the giggling spirits of children darting about in a field of billowy grass and flowers playing some ridiculous game. Men and women laughed and cajoled about in pure happiness, unaware of the wolf in their midst. Semyaza squinted, tightening his grip on the deep black staff in his hands, the crimson globe on its tip pulsing rhythmically like the beating of a human heart.

This weapon clutched in his fingers, the one known to Heaven as the legendary Staff of Ra, was from another of God's dimensions called Aaru. An earlier, long abandoned experimental universe in which the Father left rather powerful minor gods called Masters in charge of the souls that existed there instead of benevolent angels. This plane of reality was a continual source of sorrow for the great IAM; his first failure...Semyaza understood the Earth was the second.

The ancient angelic stories from before time said God witnessed the greatest of his creations, these Masters, growing ever more malicious; ruling over Aaru's humanity with an iron fist. Sadly, God realized the humanity of Aaru were too devoid of free will to recognize the difference between slavery and freedom, appearing to accept either situation equally and willingly. Regardless, He could never destroy these innocent creations, happily living under the firm hand of their Master overlords and decided to leave them be to try once more here, creating this existence, one full of free will.

Fast forward in time. Shortly after the disappearance of the Father from his new universe, one of these Masters, a powerful being calling himself Ra, declared he was the new God and managed to tear a hole between the dimensions. He and several other Masters invaded the Earth utilizing a tool from Aaru that could enslave humanity. Ignorant of the presence of the Heavenly Archangels, the action was ultimately a disaster. However, for a short while, these rather powerful minor gods maintained control of the Earth, keeping Heaven's forces at bay with their human slaves. That was until the Original Souls, Uriel, and the rest of the Archangels beat them back into their proper universe; all as the Watchers occupying the Earth looked on...however, the Masters left something deadly behind. A powerful weapon from their dimension that was believed impossible to destroy in this existence.

Eventually, the dark Staff of Ra was forgotten with time, considered something of legend until Holok confirmed its existence through the betrayal of his own thoughts. Now, after many millennia of searching, the legendary device would finally be Semyaza's key to controlling Heaven and eventually Earth.

The Watcher shook his head and cleared his mind. The perfection of Heaven was tempering his anger and hate again, not to mention, he had grown tired of Gabriel's form. A snarl formed on his lips...it was time.

A group of nearby human souls cried out in fear as the ominous Watcher reverted into his own disfigured, Earthly form and stepped into the light. "Ah, that is so much better. Now, you tiny rodents, let us see how well this Staff of Ra works."

Semyaza pointed the scarlet crystal ball at the frightened group of spirits. The beings attempted to teleport away, but found they were frozen into place by some unknown, powerful force. A red glowing energy crackled like an electric fire around the end of the staff and then erupted from the globe, bathing the cluster of humanity in a red light.

"You are mine, humans! Bow before me!"

The spirits stood erect, their faces devoid of expression. They moved as one mind, lowering their heads and falling to their knees before the Watcher. "Command us, Lord Semyaza!"

________________________________________

Raziel crawled backwards in fear, resting his back against the base of a new golden statue honoring the fallen Archangel Haniel. He lifted his hands in front of him. "Please, humans...I am not your enemy! Aaahhh!!!" the Archangel screamed as a horde of mindless human spirits engulfed him.

Semyaza smiled as he examined the bright white chamber. The Archangels' council room...the rotund, Greco-Roman style forum where he and the rest of the Watchers were sentenced to Fall, was now his...along with the rest of the kingdom of Heaven.

"Humans, seek out Chamuel and the rest of my Angelic brethren! Bring them to me, unharmed if possible!"

"Yes, Lord Semyaza!" the army of souls replied in perfect unison. They turned and then filed from the room leaving the Watcher alone with his imagination. "I think I will make this my throne room..."

"Semyaza."

The Watcher narrowed his eyes and slowly turned, his staff beginning to glow ever brighter.

Orphiel stood at the ready, sword in hand. "You will do no further harm to the humans or our angelic brethren, brother..."

"I am not your brother, Orphiel. I am your enemy and have been since you and the rest of this self-righteous Council chose to burn away my wings! And for that, you will all pay dearly...one-by-one! Now, before you meet your end, tell me the location of that infernal Book?"

"Never, Semyaza!" The Archangel shouted, charging forward, sword held above his head. "I will die first!"

"So you shall..." Semyaza lifted the staff and the room flooded with a blood-red light. 

_______________________________________

Jason opened his eyes and sat up in bed, sweat covering his body. The alarm clock next to his bed indicated it was 3 a.m. He stumbled from the bedroom, down the darkened hallway of his grandfather's house, and into the living area where the team of spiritual warriors were sleeping.

"You had a Dream, grandson?" Simon asked with a yawn, appearing in the hallway from behind the teenager

Jason nodded.

"I did as well."

Michael sat up, followed by the others. "What's the matter, Jason?"

The young man's face was solemn. "Heaven has fallen, Michael, and Archangels are dying."