Chapter 24

ARE WE AT THE END YET?

SAMANTHA's•

"I'm his sister," she muttered, enough for me to hear it. My heart seemed to cease hammering for a brief while after my mind processed that little but alarming piece of information. So they're really siblings? She is his sister—the one that Mom wants me to look for. "I'm sorry if I didn't tell you right away. I just...it's...i-it's hard. I just found out about it recently. Natakot lang ako pero wala akong balak na ilihim sayo 'yon."

Really, huh? How true is that?

I couldn't think clearly. My heart was breaking, my mind was racing with questions, I felt like I was going mad, and I was overthinking everything. My mind and heart weren't in sync anymore, and I knew I was already on the verge of losing control. I'm so disappointed. Bumukas ang pakiramdam na para akong tinarydor pagkatapos kong ibigay sa kanya ang tiwala ko. She tricked me. And my rage was rising at it.

"Are you truly sorry, or are you just sorry now because I know about it and that you made a fool of me that Monday morning?" Yeah, that Monday morning. That morning, which I initially felt was dreary, ended up being different because her presence remarkably washed off the day's depressing vibe. I even wished we had stayed together all day because I love calm conversation with her, and the rain at that moment would have made it special. But, "I can't believe I trusted you," I was really appalled. My heart was mad. "I can't..." Incredulously, I scoffed and clicked my tongue. "Tsk. I'm such a fool."

I feel stupid.

"I'm sorry. Believe me—!"

"I hate sorrys and excuses, Skylie Rae. That's something I've heard so much already! Sino ka, si Steph?!" Inis na sabi ko. Fudge. Rinding-rindi na ako sa salitang 'yan. Wala na akong ibang narinig kundi iyan tapos nauulit lang naman. Iba ka kay Steph, Dugyot. Ibang-iba ka. "Now I know why I hated you so much the first time we met. Magkadugo pala kayong dalawa. Kapatid ka pala ng lalaking dahilan kung bakit ang miserable ng buhay namin, kung bakit pati magulang ko'y parang tinatalikuran na ako. Magkapatid pala kayo kaya iba rin ang kulo ng dugo ko sayo." Sumisikip ang dibdib ko bawat bitaw ko ng mga salita; pakiramdam ko'y si Juss Aecent itong kaharap ko at hindi si Skylie Rae. I was trying my best not to yell or raise my voice at her, but I was already losing it. "Simula nang dumating siya, unti-unting nawala sa'kin ang mga bagay na iniingatan ko. Hindi ko na nga alam kung may natitira pa dahil parang napunta na sa kanya lahat. Tapos ano? He would act like he's not doing anything wrong? Like he's innocent and a good son that every parent is lucky to have? Masaya ba siya? Masaya ba kayo? Palabas lang ba lahat, Skylie Rae? Akala ko pa naman iba ka sa kanila. Pare-pareho lang din pala kayo."

Hindi siya nakasagot. She firmly shut her eyes and lowered her gaze. I swallowed apprehensively and carried on.

"You asked me the other day if I would hate Aecent's sister, right? Sabi ko naman depende sa mararamdaman ko kapag nakaharap ko siya—kapag nakaharap kita," I paused after emphasizing the last word. I hate it, Dugyot. I really hate it! Why does it have to be you?! Why not someone else?! I took a deep breath and gingerly put my hand into my blouse pocket. "I'll be honest; I don't like this, and I don't like you. This will be our last conversation because I'll never talk to you again, Fuentes. Kahit ano pang sabihin mo, hindi na kita pakikinggan pa."

And I hate myself that I have to say these things. Fuck! I can't even stop!

"Samantha..."