Bonus Chapter 2

First published date 5/16/20
Unedited

"Cato. As you know, your father and I have been separated for a while now. Well, we're finalizing the divorce, and we're moving back to district 2. I was offered head peacekeeper there, and I can get away from your jerk of a father."

"But mom, I'm finally actually making friends here," I complained.

Of course right as I was finally starting to like district 1 we were going back to district 2. Don't get me wrong, I love district 2, but I had finally started to think of my life there in the past and be okay with it, and now I have to go back. See Clove train with someone else. Hell, she might even be dating someone new. I can say a bunch of times I'm ok with it but honestly, when she danced with Marvel at the District Gala between 1 & 2 instead of me it hurt. Granted the year before I gave her two crowns and she walked away.

"And I've gotten a better position in District 2," she replied flatly, "And shouldn't you be happy?"

"Why would I be happy mom?"

"You get to go back to Clove."

"Clove doesn't want me around!" I replied angrily, "She made that very clear."

"She was saving both of you a hell of a lot of pain. She didn't think you'd ever see each other again, besides maybe, maybe, on a Victory Tour, or even during the Games."

"It's, she's probably moved on. And of course I want her to be happy, but it would suck. I can't see her with someone else and realize that they make her happier than I did."

"Then fight for her."

"You act like it's easy. She hates me mom!"

"Cato, Clove could never hate you. That's not the type of person she is. She's angry. At the world, not you, but she's questioning a lot of things. You haven't been able to talk to her, I kept in contact with Alex and Brutus. She's been saying a lot. It'll be good for you to go back."

"You act like I'm going to save her."

"It's not saving her, it's protecting her from saying things she doesn't actually mean," Kevin, mom's fiancée, stated, "and you're helping her see that there is good in the world, all she's known is heartbreak. Remember, she has grown up around broken people. Without her parents, she hasn't had an easy life. Please, for me, put up a fight for her."

"I will Mom. I will fight my ass off for her. I don't want to lose her because of my own stupidity a second time. I can't," I sighed, staring down at my feet, remembering the last conversation I had with Clove, and how scared she was of me. It brought tears back to my eyes. And I hoped that she didn't hate me for it. I hoped she took the necklace back in my letter and wore it. Or at least kept it somewhere. When I see her next, I'm never letting go.
________________________________
Hehe, see what I did there. Yes I'm aware it's been three years but I just found this draft today. It's short, but I wanted to put it in. It brings them up to Never Let Go. I hope to see y'all over there.
I love you all and until next time...
~Brinley