Chapter 13

Clove and I didn't see each other the rest of that week, and since the reaping had hit the day before her birthday, I wasn't planing to see her until after the games. She had gotten seriously sick, and was forced, by her uncle and Enobaria, to go to the Capitol for treatment. And since her birthday was the last day of school, father had already planned a trip to visit relatives in the Capitol. I know, it's bizarre, but my grandfather had moved here with his children and wife as a peacekeeper after creating the games. He never wanted to be a Gamemaker, even though technically, he was the first.

Anyways, with this trip, I was gone all month, leaving me without Clove for over a month. But that doesn't mean it was boring for me. My cousins, well, they had plans for me, even though I'm only 12.

"Cato, are you ready?" Bianca, my closest cousin, yelled up the stairs.

She had told me 10 minutes ago that we were going out with her friends, and that I needed to dress the best I possibly could. I didn't know why it mattered, but since it was my older cousin, I kind of had to do as she said. Especially with Bianca. Being the youngest of 4 children left her to be spoiled, so when she doesn't get her way, things get ugly.

"Almost," I yelled back, finishing buttoning my shirt. Once I was completely changed I ran down the stairs, only to be greeted by Bianca and another girl.

"Cato, meet Marin," Bianca stated, pushing the girl, probably the same age as Bianca, towards me.

"Hello Marin," I said politely, still unsure of why she was here.

"Wow," she stated. "I was not expecting you to be so, well, like Bianca."

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"You're like a little her," she smiled. "It's really creepy.

"I, Bianca and I are cousins," I blurted in an attempt to get her to back off.

"I know," Marin smiled, still walking closer to me.

"What do you want?" I insisted, wishing I had Clove by my side like that one day at the beginning of the year, when that girl was throwing herself at me to save me.

"Well, isn't it obvious?" Marin questioned.

"No!" I shrieked, trying to get her to explain it to me.

"Marin! Stop! You're scaring him!" Bianca yelled, finally speaking up.

"What do you want me to do? How else am I supposed to get him to keep the secret?"

"Something else! You're scaring him! He's my baby cousin, I can trust him," Bianca pleaded, grabbing Marin's hands, resting them on her face.
Suddenly, Bianca bent her neck and kissed Marin. Not in the cheek, but in the lips, like it was casual. Marin was the first to pull away, loosening up, looking at me. Slowly, Bianca turned, looking at me.

"You can't tell anyone," she told me, staring at me.

"I won't," I responded, a little surprised that my cousin had trusted me with this.

"No one else knows about Marin and I," she whispered.

"Why can't you tell anyone?" I asked, confused by why she wouldn't want anyone to know that she was with Marin. Although she came across as a little intense, I realized that she was just trying to see how well fear worked on me, and if I could be trusted.

"People here, well pretty much everywhere, the don't think that it's ok for a girl to be with a girl. Or a guy to be a guy. If my parents or Bianca's parents found out, the wouldn't let us ever talk again," Marin stated, joining the conversation.