Not My Specialty (dad!Tony x reader)

Comenzar desde el principio

"Are you okay?" Wanda whispered, seeing you wake, but silencing quickly when Tony shifted in his chair. The two of you watched him with wide eyes, holding perfectly still until he found a resting spot again. "Do you need anything?"

"Steve?"

"At least two more hours."

"Just cross your legs," Tony slurred quietly into a long yawn, stretching his arms over his head to try to shake some life back into them. "Tell that kid he's just gonna have to wait."

"I thought you were asleep?"

"You think I could sleep at a time like this?" he chuckled softly, his eyes still closed. "I can barely sleep when everything's going good. No way in hell I'm gonna get any rest for the next eighteen years."

The peace and relief wasn't going to last long, you knew that for sure, so when it came back with a vengeance and an incapacitating grip that left you struggling to control your breaths, Tony was quickly wide awake and jumped up at your side with his focus fully on you. "Okay, sweetheart, just focus on something else...anything else..."

"He's not here..." you whimpered between sharp gasps, "he's supposed to be here..."

"I know, I'm so sorry, but don't focus on that. I'm sorry that you're stuck with me, honey, but you're doing great."

Wanda was at your other side, doing her best to intervene again, but this time her efforts were having no effect on how you were feeling; she exchanged a quick glance with Tony before heading to the door, looking for your nurse to let her know that things were about to really begin. When she returned, she reached out and tapped Tony's arm gently to get his attention, "if you don't think you can be in here, I can stay."

"No, I'm good," he answered readily and without hesitating, "I'm not going anywhere." The monitor at the head of your bed began to alarm, making him jump slightly at the sudden blaring sound that cut into the calm that he was trying his best to create. "Okay...okay...(Y/N), things are gonna start to move really fast. But I'm right here. I promise, I'm staying on this end, because what you're doing downtown there is all on you."

"Shut up," you tried to laugh, but it came out in more of a sad cry that stung in his chest; he hated watching you be in pain, even for something with such a happy outcome as this, and he longed for any way to take even some of it from you. "Dad...you can do this."

Now Tony felt like a complete ass, having to hear you be the one to build him up when he was there to do that for you. All he had to do was hold your hand and be supportive, and here you were, doing the hardest thing that he would ever be witness to and trying to keep him calm. He felt like an absolute failure to you in those few seconds, and he couldn't stand what he had done. "No, you can do this, honey. I'm going to do whatever you need of me, alright? There's nothing that I won't do-"

"(Y/N)!" Steve called out to you, bursting through the door with such force that it bent the hinges as it slammed back against the wall, nearly making your doctor topple from his stool when he jumped in surprise. His uniform was dirty and his hands were shaking, but he began to calm when he could finally make contact with you. "I'm here, baby, I'm here," he said in forced breaths, taking his place at your side, opposite of a relieved Tony. "I'm sorry I'm late, but I'm here."

"Oh, it's so good to see you, Cap, you have no idea," Tony sighed, his body visibly relaxing at the sight of him, "you just made it."

"You okay?" Steve asked, this time directed towards your wavering and slightly pale dad. "Maybe you should sit down, Tony."

"Nah, I'm good...I'm good," he waved him off casually with a heavy hand. "(Y/N), since Steve's here, I'm just gonna wait outside-"

"No, stay," you interrupted quickly, clutching his hand before he could pull it away. "Please, stay here."

Tony's eyes widened and his mouth dropped open in shock, looking from Steve and to your doctor before back to you, clearing his throat nervously to regain the voice that he was sure he had lost. "You sure? This isn't really my specialty...this baby stuff. I thought you had caught on to that by now."

"You think it's mine?" Steve scoffed. "I don't have a clue what I'm doing, Tony. I'm just winging it, here."

"Glad I'm not alone," you added quietly, "I'm totally lost."

Steve and Tony looked down at you, fully surprised but smiling with a strange thankfulness that you had given them permission to be terrible at this along with you. When the action began to pick up again, Steve leaned in to kiss your forehead and whisper encouragement to you that Tony turned away from to allow your privacy. More nurses began to arrive and take their places around you, leaving the two men at your side feeling that much more anxious that the time had come for them to figure it all out.

"Okay, everyone," the doctor announced with a calming smile, "I've heard that you're all fast learners, so no time like the present to find out if that's true. Here we go."