Follow Me (Maximoffs/Avengers x reader)

"How could you?" Wanda asked with a pure terror in her voice, her eyes full of panic as she backed away from the cradle towards Pietro, who now looked equally concerned.

"How could I what?"

"You said that we would destroy the Avengers. Create a better world."

"It will be better," Ultron replied, his fists clenched tightly as he maintained a chilly control. He looked towards you while you guarded Dr. Cho, watching her every move to ensure that she was following his commands. You nodded in confirmation that the transfer was still working, and he turned his attention back to the twins.

"When everyone is dead?" Wanda gasped and clutched Pietro's hand. "(Y/N), did you know?"

"Wanda, I don't think you understand what's happening," you replied coolly, turning to look at her and away from the doctor for just a brief second, giving Wanda enough time to release her from the stone's control. "The human race will have every opportunity to improve."

"And if they don't?" Pietro pressed, glaring at you with a fire in his eyes that carried a sudden contempt for you, distancing himself from someone who had been his best friend for years. As he looked at you, the fire slowly died away, and all you could see was pain and disbelief.

"Ask Noah," Ultron answered, pausing as if looking inside of himself. "We have incoming. The quinjet," he spat, "we need to move."

"That's not a problem." You nudged the doctor to prepare to move the cradle, your eyes still locked on Pietro. He stepped aside and whispered something to Wanda, watching you for any sign that you understood and would come with them if they ran, but he saw none. He finally willed himself to break your gaze and lock any feelings towards you away, realizing in that moment that you were no longer the person that he had come to know for so many years.

The cradle alarmed and stopped the transfer, inciting Ultron's anger and lashing out with a blast that knocked Dr. Cho across the room. Pietro didn't even look at you before grabbing his sister and running, leaving you to watch the rest of the science team around you fall at the android's hands. You had warned the doctor to comply, and you felt no remorse other than that you couldn't stop your friends from running; that you couldn't convince them to stay and trust the plan.

"Do you want to run too?"

"No. I want to be there to see the Avengers fall, and you're the only one who can make that happen. Where else would I be but at your side? They've made their choice."

"What if the choice of survival needs to be made between us or them? Whose side will you stand on then?"

You stopped and waited for the robots to push the cradle past you, getting a glimpse of the android inside and the gem emanating a glow that filled the inside of the mechanism. If the choice had to be made, you would make it in the moment; you couldn't imagine being in a battle against your friends who had been your only family, but it was a very real possibility that you would be soon enough. Without giving him an answer, you took ahold of the cradle as it passed by and made your way to the truck.

"Hmm," Ultron murmured to himself, "this is going very well."

~~~

If you step out that door, you are an Avenger.

Just when you thought it was safe to advance, the archer barreled through the door of the broken down building, armed and ready to take you and your team of robots down single-handedly if he had to. You hadn't shown your powers yet in this battle, but the time had come so you could be a greater threat to the Avenger. Gathering a ball of fire between your hands, you approached the car that he was crouched behind slowly, pausing when you saw the glimpse of his boot and throwing the flame at him as he nimbly jumped away.