Are You Trying to Make Me Hate You? (Loki x reader)

Sequel to Kneel Before Me (in Book #1)

"(Y/N)?" Thor called out, peeking his head into the library but getting no reply. He moved on to the gym, the kitchen, the lounge, and finally to the balcony where you were sitting quietly and reading on your one day off from the team. "(Y/N), might I join you for a moment?"

"As long as you don't give me any work to do or cause any sort of trouble that I have to fix, then yes, please."

He stepped out onto the balcony cautiously and with an air of uncertainty, smiling slightly when your eyes met his. "I have no work for you."

You closed your eyes and slammed your book shut with a firm clap, resting it on your legs, "so then that leaves trouble, right? What did you do, Thor?"

The Asgardian sat with his hands folded in his lap and holding an unusually timid demeanor. He knew that what he was about to tell you wouldn't go over very well, and that you had long since moved on from the kind of trouble he was bringing you. In all of the realms, there were very few things that frightened him, one of them being your wrath. "I've been weakened, my lady. I was contacted with the asking of a favor, and after much consideration, I have agreed to be of assistance to...my brother. I have agreed to bring him here under my guard."

"Are you trying to make me hate you, Thor? Because you're really, really doing well," you groaned, throwing your book onto the table next to you and standing to leave. "Do you even remember what happened the last time he was here? And now you're bringing him back for what? What could be so important that you're going to risk it?"

"He wishes to apologize."

~~~

You sat in the common room and waited with the rest of the team, Nick also insisting that he be there for Loki's return. He didn't care that Thor had guaranteed your safety; he felt personally responsible for you after keeping the secret of your lineage from you and knowing how you still struggled with it to this day. After several minutes of anticipation and building nerves, a flash of light filled the room; everyone covered their eyes to block it, and when they uncovered them again, Thor and Loki were standing at the center of the group.

"Yeah, now that he's here, I really don't like this," Tony whispered to Steve, who stood immediately when they appeared. The two of them took position in front of you until you put your arm on Steve's, pushing forward past them.

"Down, boy," you chuckled, moving to bring yourself fully into Loki's line of sight. "I can handle myself." When Loki looked at you, his entire posture relaxed and you saw his chest rise and fall with a relieved breath. Thor's hand was still tightly on his arm to hold him in place, and there were shackles on this hands and feet, though he looked like the intent to break them never crossed his mind. "Loki, it's...unexpected...to see you again."

"I've missed you too," he sighed with a slight smile. "You are more beautiful than I remember."

A collective groan filled the room behind you as the team watched, waiting for him to make a move. "You came to apologize, so get on with it," Tony snapped. "The sooner you leave, the better."

Loki glanced around the room at the unpleasant faces looking back and cleared his throat, leaning in closer to you with a quiet voice, "do you think, perhaps, that we could have some privacy?"

"Hell no," Natasha answered for you.

"No, brother. That was not a part of the agreement."

"It is difficult to express my true feelings of remorse when being stared at by such a hateful gathering," he argued. "You can stay, dear brother, to watch over me. But I would ask that the others please take their leave."

With a small nod, Thor allowed them to go, though the arguments were whispered and clear enough as they filed from the room. You waited until the room was clear, turning to Thor to ask him to step aside. "I'll be fine. Just maybe wait over there?"

"No," he huffed, moving only a few feet to the side, "I shall wait right here. No further."

Loki sighed and took a step forward to bring the space between you closer, looking down at you with soft eyes and a welcoming smile, "I don't think I can stop thinking about you, (Y/N). From the moment I left, you have been a constant in my mind. Your memory haunts me in my dreams. I cannot sleep. I know no other purpose than to find you."

"You came to apologize, Loki," you said firmly, holding your ground, "so apologize."

"This has nothing to do in regards to the prophecy, (Y/N). This is simply a desire to be with you," he pushed. "This is nothing more than my need to be in your presence and to have you in mine."

"I'm not going with you. I can't."

The god took another small step towards you, and in your periphery you saw Thor take a tighter grip of Mjolnir. "I am not asking that you leave. I am asking only that you accept me and allow me to show you my true intentions. That can be accomplished here."

"No," you scoffed, "there's no way in hell that anyone is going to let you stay here. Have you completely lost your mind?"

"Only for you."

You knew that he couldn't be trusted, and you knew that he would only bring trouble to your life and anyone who crossed his path, but something in his voice drew you in. He looked genuine; he looked at you with a longing that couldn't be anything but true. Thor must have picked up on your shift in feelings and cleared his throat slightly.

"Apologize, brother, so that we may be on our way."

Loki looked at you with a hint of desperation now, wanting nothing more than your acceptance. "Please, (Y/N), if you see any part of me that is truthful, take it as such."

"I will take your feelings as truth, Loki. But it doesn't change anything. You can't stay here and I can't follow you to Asgard. Together, you and I are too dangerous, you know that. That's my final word."

He hung his head and turned to Thor, looking nothing like the confident and powerful god that you had met months ago. Loki took his place at Thor's side and met your gaze with a look of sadness that sent a pain through you. You almost wanted to join him, and it terrified you. "(Y/N), my darling, I genuinely apologize for what I have done, and for the pain that I have caused you. Please take solace in knowing that I will spend the rest of my days suffering in your absence."

With a quick nod to his brother, the two men were gone.