It's Just Business (Rogers/Stark x reader)

Slight language, and Tony's a jerk

"Mr. Stark, I'm sure that we can come up with an arrangement that will be mutually beneficial," one of the stuffy suits in your company's conference room urged, his tone almost bored with the events taking place and his role in them. Such a trite and unassuming little man should have been more intimidated or at least more impressed by the one-and-only Tony Stark sitting across from him, but he seemed to pay him no respect.

"I'm sure that you think we can," Tony replied, equally as bored, "but we've been over this about a bazillion times now, and honestly, I'm getting just a smidge pissed off at your half-assed tenacity. I'm buying your company because it's a circus and your stocks are dropping faster than the bird shit falling from your roof. If you listen closely, you can hear your last pennies hit the sidewalk."

"You're such an asshole," you scoffed quietly under your breath, but not quietly enough, as luck would have it.

"(Y/N)," your dad hissed, turning his chair towards you, "watch yourself."

"What? You don't think that he's an asshole? Am I wrong? No one else here has the balls to call him out?"

"And who are you?" Tony asked smugly, his eyes dark as he stared you down. It didn't escape you when his gaze drifted down your front and back up slowly, raising a brow just slightly as he met your eyes again.

"Wow, that was really subtle, Mr. Stark," you smiled coldly, "but I can make this easier for you if you'd like." You pushed your chair back and away from the table, throwing your phone down on the oak top with a loud crack of the glass against it. When you stood, Tony's eyes brightened slightly, but when you started to unbutton your suit coat, he straightened in his chair and smiled with a new delight.

"Maybe raising your stock isn't your gift, (Y/N)," he muttered, adjusting in his seat awkwardly.

"(Y/N), sit down!"

"Please don't," Tony smirked, "this is the best part of my day so far."

"You can shut your mouth, Stark," your dad pointed at him angrily, turning back to you. "(Y/N), that's enough."

You threw your jacket on your seat with snap and stood tall, your hands on your hips and fully enraged, "okay, so that's how it is? This asshat looks me over like a piece of meat and it's okay, but if I try to throw it back in his face, you yell at me? Maybe he should buy out this dinosaur of a company, Dad. You're obviously stuck in the goddamn dark ages."

"Go out with me."

Everyone at the table stopped their hushed conversations with each other and turned to face Tony, the loud gasp from you overshadowing any mumbled comments in reaction. Your father's face had paled significantly; so much so that Tony actually worried that he might have shocked the old man to death right in front of him.

"I'm sorry?" you asked with a disbelieving shake of your head, as if you had heard him wrong. "What did you just say?"

"I said go out with me," he repeated. "If you go out with me, just one date, I'll give you six months to save your own asses before I try this again."

"Why the hell would I want to go out with you? Why would you think I'm even available?"

"Because there's no ring on that finger, and it's the only shot you have in saving daddy's company, sweetheart. Who knows," he smirked, standing up to leave, "you might just like it. If it goes well, this building will have the name Stark on the lease, but you'll be the one signing it."

~~~

Once Stark left, and after storming out of the conference room after a heated argument with your dad, you rushed down the countless flights of stairs until you made it to the ground floor, bursting through the doors and into the bright sunlight, hoping for it to save your mood. The old man had the audacity to think that maybe a date with Tony was a good idea, and that if it really did go well, it could save everything and ensure your future where he couldn't do so himself. He was panicking under the pressures of his failing company, and with you set to take control at his retirement, he was leaving you with a mess that Tony barely wanted to touch. He thought it was a stroke of luck that the man had even walked into his building in the first place, and now with him interested in you, all he could see were dollar signs.