Chapter 22

Brock and Jenna exited the small white clapboard country church, the congregation consisted of barely thirty attendees. They shook the pastor's outstretched hand and thanked him for a wonderful service. Jenna's black summer skirt that was adorned with large pink flowers printed on it gently blew in the breeze as did Brock's pink tie. Carolyn and John met up with them under the blooming dogwood tree.

"Brock a pink tie?" Carolyn raise a brow.

"Real men wear pink" Brock retorted with a mock hurt expression as he messed with his tie.

"You will never guess what I just found out" Carolyn's excitement emanated through her whole body as she didn't even get either one to respond before she jump at the chance to let them know. "Patrick was caught using steroids and other drugs while on duty. Apparently he had been throwing up red flags for awhile so they had him followed. They have nailed him with all kinds charges then they had followed him when he came by yesterday and has also got him for harassment and assault. So when he got back to work they had released him from his duties and has lost off of his benefits."

"That's a shame regardless of what happened" Jenna felt sorry for Patrick even though he had brought this on himself.

"I remember when I was in the coma and he told me that one of us was going to loose everything and it wouldn't be him. Looks like he was wrong, I have everything I need and he has ended up with nothing." Brock recalled and then shook his head and sighed

"Well we best be going Mr. Jenkins is probably waiting" Jenna spoke up as she didn't want to have to discuss anything more about Patrick. They said their goodbyes Brock grabbed her hand as they walked to his truck and he helped her in.

They arrived at Mr. Jenkin's farm house and was greeted by a single warning bark by Boomer. Brock's brows creased together in wonder if he should be worried about this large dog attacking or laugh at the lazy beast. Jenna could tell Brock was perplexed with wonder.

"He's a big baby aren't you Boomer?" Jenna cooed at the furry beast as his head lifted up wanting to be given some attention. Large puddles where the dog had drooled could plainly been seen, even with the wisps of drool still hanging from his large jowls. Brock curled up the side of his lip in discussed as the doe eyed dog looked up at him. Jenna gently patted Boomers head, Mr. Jenkins shuffled around the side of the house and hollard.

"Come back round here, I've already got everything set up."

Sure enough the large round glass table was already dressed with plates and large glasses filled to the brim with tea. Jenna dished out the chicken and side dishes before settling down to eat herself. She noticed that Mr. Jenkins seemed a little bit paler than usual but he insisted he was fine and for her to stop fretting over him.

"You have a wonderful home here and a great piece of land Mr. Jenkins" Brock scanned over the property. Lush green grass for miles could be seen and evidence of a large garden that had been neglected for quite some time. Something had caught Brock's eye though, off in the distance there was a structure that had seen better days. It had overgrown vines all over it but pieces of world would poke out from underneath the foliage.

"What is that over there?" Brock inquired as he pointed in the direction on the unkempt mess.

"Oh that, that was my wife's, she loved hanging flowers. So I built her that and she planted wisteria, it was her pride and joy she would be out in that mess constantly pruning and talking to it. After she passed I never wanted to deal with it so I just let it go, every so often I can see some blooms but nothing like when she was tendin' to it." Brock felt this nagging feeling in the pit of his stomach but couldn't figure out why.