Chapter 10

"You can't do any of that without the council's approval!" Screamed a fuming Rufus Taurus.

"Actually I can, I have researched our laws quite extensively. And if you would do the same you will see that the councils have no actual power. The only purpose of the councils is to advise the reigning monarchy. Now, Taurus if you would like to challenge me I can have the laws shown to you."

I told him supremely confident.

"But be sure that you really want to do that because if you do. When you are proven wrong you will lose your seat on the council, forever."

Out the corner of my eye I watched as my father and aunt chuckled quietly and beamed with pride.

"I have the book right here." I waved my hand to indicate the book that Adrian held. "Now, would any of you like to challenge me?"

"No, your majesty." He and a few others grumbled.

"Be forewarned, I never bring up something that I don't know the outcome to. I always do my research before broaching such topics."

"Yes, your majesty."

"Thank you." I inclined my head to them.

"Now, as some of you may or may not know, I am getting married soon. My wonderful fiancé proposed before I was crowned, but we have been in love for well over a year now. And as you know, or some of you may not know, that when a queen gets married. If she so wishes her husband can take the throne as king. And I wish for that to happen."

I saw Dimitri's eyes get big as dinner plates as he turned to look at me. I saw our family start laughing quietly when he did that.

I stood up walked to the front of the stage and said, "so let me introduce to all of you my fiancé and your future king, Guardian Dimitri Belikov." I held my hand out for Dimitri to join me, taking my hand he did so. Everyone stood and kneeled.

"Rise."

Everyone retook their seats. "Now, a date has not been set for the wedding yet, but it will be soon. Now that I can finally marry my soul mate I am not waiting any longer than I absolutely have to."

There was laughter so loud that it filled the meeting hall.

"Also, Dimitri and I would like to thank everyone for the gifts that we received while we were recovering. We loved them all, the doughnut baskets were particularly wonderful." I teased, and more laughter mixed with mine and Dimitri's rich honey and cinnamon coated laughter filled the room.

"Someone bring the king's throne." A few minutes later the throne I asked for arrived. "Please sit down sweetheart." Both Dimitri and I sat down. "Now, I know that most of you know that I was shadow kissed to Vasilissa Dragomir. Until she killed me by forcing her darkness into me with that very intent. Which is why she was sent to Tarasov for murder, along with Tasha Ozera being sent to Mariz, for the same reason. But with a very different weapon. Now, when that bond broke I still retained all of the previous powers that I had obtained because of the bond. Which is how I knew that the wards had been broken and that there were strigoi inside court. One of the powers being shadow kissed gives you is being able to sense strigoi. Another is being able to see, talk to and control the dead. A third power is being able to use the darkness you take from your bond mate as a weapon. I however, never knew about the last one. Until after the bond between Vasilissa and myself was broken. On the night of the attack on court my fiancé..." I stopped to take a deep calming breath. Dimitri squeezed my hand reassuring me that he was still here and perfectly fine.

"On the night of the attack, my fiancé was killed. While he was fighting with a strigoi another strigoi snuck up behind him and broke his neck... killing him instantly. When I saw what had happened to him, powers that I did not know that I possessed broke free. The blue-white light that encompassed all of court, came from my fear of losing Dimitri. That light incinerated all the remaining strigoi around court as well as those that were already in the process of being turned." I stopped, not only to take a breath but to let what I said sink in with everyone.