Chapter 49

I rinse my bowl and run up the stairs to change out of my pajamas.

"Hurry," Josh yells from downstairs.

"Relax," I yell back.

I enter his room and immediately take off the T-shirt. I put on my bra before tugging on my leggings. I find a black t-shirt and a white hoodie.

I pull them over my head before grabbing my purse and shoes and running down stairs.

"Ready?" he asks with his hand on the door handle.

"No," I frown as I struggle to put on my shoes.

We exit the house and Josh locks the door as I make my descent down the steps. I walk to his car and hop in the passenger seat. I watch him make his way down the stairs. His skin is glowing from the sun, which is shadowing half of his face.

He opens the car door and slides in before starting up the engine. He backs out of his driveway and makes his way towards the airport.

As we drive along, he takes small glances at me. I pretend not to notice, but he makes them too obvious.

"What," I say with half a smile.

"Nothing," he shrugs off, turning his attention back toward the road.

"Sure," I smile.

I turn back toward the window and watch as we grow nearer to the airport. Now it's really beginning to sink in that Josh will be gone. I've gone more that four days without him before. This just feels different. Now I have a sense of urgency about him. I need him with me for me to feel okay. Otherwise, I don't feel anything at all.
Just longing for him.

"So when are you coming back again?" I ask still looking out the window.

"In a few days. You don't have to worry, I'll call you every night," he says rounding a corner.

"I know," I say sinking into my seat.

"Could you at least pretend to be happy?" he says taking a hold of my hand.

"Mm, no," I half smile to him. "I don't know, it just seems so sudden for you to be leaving," I say squinting out the window.

"You know I'd stay if I could," he turns away from me, focusing on the road in front of him.

"I just wish you would've woken me up with you," I sigh. "It would've been nice lying with you once before you leave."

"I'm sorry," he says raising my hand and kissing my knuckles.

He entwines his fingers with mine and continues to drive. His touch gives me reassurance, but I know I'll still be broken up over his absence.

"It's just a few days. I'll live," I say slightly squeezing his hand.

Neither of us speak the rest of the drive. The only thing keeping us occupied is the music from the radio.

We arrive at the airport and Josh finds a parking spot near the front.

"Here we go," I say hitting the bak of my head against the head rest.

"It's only a few days, Jen," he says resting his head as well.

"I know, lets just get it over with," I say unbuckling myself. I open the door and step out. I immediately see paparazzi waiting around the entrance doors.

I walk to the back of the car, as does Josh. He opens the trunk and takes out his suitcase.

"Can I wheel it?" I ask taking a hold of the handle and twisting the suitcase around in small circles.