Chapter 34

Josh's POV

There's a knock on the door and I swear I feel my heart stop. I take deep breaths with every step to the door.

I reach the door and swing it open to find Jennifer smiling. In her clenching fist is my gray T-shirt.

"Hi," is all she says through her smile.

For a moment I don't move. I just want to take in her image. I haven't seen her in two weeks, but it feels like ages.

I don't reply to her. Instead I pull her inside into a hug. I hug her tight and immediately the emptiness in me fills.
Her arms wrapped around my neck, I take her all in. Her hair has the faint smell of green apples which makes me smile.

"How've you been," I say into her hair.

"Better now," she says.

"Me too," I reply.

I release her from my hold and she steps back. She's still smiling and I can't help but laugh. She looks like a child on Christmas Day.

"Why are you so smiley," I say poking her cheek.

"I think I could ask you the same question," she says still with her smile plastered on her face.

"Alright, alright. It's really good to see you," I say trying to keep myself contained.

"Yeah you too," she replies.

I don't know what to say next. I think about kissing her, but I know I shouldn't.

"Oh, here's your T-shirt," she says holding out the gray piece of fabric.

"Thanks," I say unfolding it and looking at it.

"What? Why are you smiling at a T-shirt?" she says laughing.

"Nothing. I just remembered when you were wearing it," I say with a shrug.

Her smile fades. Now I know how thin the line is and I've just crossed it.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have.." I begin but the I turn my attention back to the T-shirt.

"No it's okay," she says looking down. I take a glance at her and I see a small smile dancing on her lips.

"Do you want anything to drink?" I offer. I know that eventually she'll have to leave, but not so soon. I want to spend as much time with her as i can now.

"Yeah, you got any water?" she asks following me to the kitchen.

"Yeah, but I just made some strawberry Kool-aid and you'd be missing out if you didn't try any," I raise an eyebrow at her.

"Geez, tough decision. Not. Kool-aid it is," She says taking a seat across the counter.

After I pour her a glass we talk about the most nonsense things for an hour.

"But yeah, cats hate me! I tried petting one and it scratched up my whole hand," she says shaking her right hand back and forth.

"Well if you put your hand right in front of its face, obviously it's going to scratch you!"

"No one told me," she says shrugging with a laugh.

"You're such a weirdo," I say taking a sip of my Kool-aid.

"And you're annoying. Pour me some more?" she says scooting her cup across the counter.

"Sure," I say grabbing the cup.

I don't know what I miss more. Jen and I almost being a couple or this. Just being ourselves and goofing around. Talking about weird topics. Being friends. Maybe it's for the better.