Chapter 10

"Jen! Josh!"

I hear nothing else after that.
I time out everything except for his name.

He's here.

I quickly look around for him and I meet his gaze. He had already been looking at me.

I stare at him without a word or movement.

"Jen?" Nicholas shakes my hand.

He follows my eyes to Josh.

"Are you kidding me," Nicholas says.

"Please, just relax," I try to calm him, but he's ready standing.

"I'm not going to sit here all night while Josh drools over you in that dress," Nicholas says. He turns towards Josh.

Josh waves at him with a smile.
A small smile forms on my face but soon disappears as Josh looks in my direction.

"Just switch spots with me so he'll be looking at my back," I say standing.

We both move around the table into each others seats.

"Hey Jen!" I hear a familiar annoying voice from behind me.

"Hi Claudia," I half smile.

"Fancy seeing you here! Wanna introduce me to your toy?"

"The toy's name is Nicholas," says Nick, repulsed by Claudia's idea of a first impression.

"This is Claudia, Josh's girlfriend," I say. She smiles at him but he gives no reaction.

"Charmed," he says placing his hand over his heart for dramatization.

I giggle and Nicholas smiles at me. His smile turns into a grimace when Josh comes over.

"I see you've made acquaintance with Nicholas. I thought we said we weren't going to bother them," Josh says trying to usher Claudia back to their table.

"Actually, why don't you two join us," Nicholas challenges. I shoot him a worried glare, but he continues to smile at Josh.

Josh looks angry.

"Fine," he says defiantly. He won't let Nicholas win.

Two chairs are pulled up to the round table. I have Josh to my left and Nicholas to my right.

And across from me sits Claudia.
What a great view for the night.

"Are you ready to order?" says our new waiter Ethan.

We all order our food and begin in awkward conversation.

"So Nicholas," Claudia begins, "how long have you and Jen been together?"

She rests her chin on her hands and acts as if she's actually interested in hearing this.

"About two years," he says, then takes a swig of water.

"Do you think we'll last that long?" Claudia turns to Josh.

He leans in and whispers something I her ear. She giggles and looks me in the eyes, making sure I'm watching her.

I quickly move my eyes away and scarf down a breadstick.

Five minutes later, our food arrives and we begin to eat.

There is small talk here and there, but nothing important that anyone can remember.

"So Nicholas, are you coming to one of the Catching Fire premieres?" Josh asks. He looks at me and smiles.
Here we go.