16: Stolen Kisses

Start from the beginning

"I might have persuaded one of Roy's friends to tell me where he is taking you,"she said mischeviously.

"Really? Where?" I asked excitedly, casting her an expectant look.

She gave me a sly smile,"And why would I tell you?"

I looked at her like she was crazy,"You can't actually be serious!"

"A surprise is a surprise Dani."

I groaned,"Fine, but what's in the bag?"

She grinned excitedly at me,"Just the cutest outfit ever for a 'not-really-a-date-but-kind-of-a-date'!"

She pulled out a black dress with stars on it which was the perfect mix of casual and dressy. Next came out a pair of white pumps and an expensive looking Michael Kors cross body bag.

I stood and stared at it in awe for a minute before coming to my senses,"This must have cost you a fortune! I can't accept it!"

She just chuckled,"The only thing I bought was the dress. The bag and shoes I stole from my aunt. Anyway, you getting a boyfriend and getting out of my hair will be repayment enough. Plus, the sexual tension between you two is almost overwhelming."

Her teasing brought a slight shade of red to my cheeks, but Jess pretended not to see.

"Now hurry up missy. I still have to do your hair and makeup."

A few minutes later I was dressed and having my hair carefully straightened by my roommate. This hairdo would show Roy that I tried, but not too hard since I straighten my hair at least once a week anyway. At least that's what Jess said. I just hope she's right. Once that was done, she used a plain black barrette to pin the front pieces at the back of my head. Then she applied light makeup and shimmery eyeshadow that made my eyes pop.

"Thanks so much, for everything."

She chuckled,"Oh don't go getting sentimental on me now. Won't he be here soon?"

I looked over at the clock and saw that he was supposed to be here in a minute, literally. I looked panicked at the door and wiped my suddenly moist hands on my flowing dress. I have this, I can do this. Or at least that's what I tell myself in the final moments as I walk towards the door to open it. It swings open to reveal an anxious looking Roy, who appeared to feel just as nervous as me. Is this how love is supposed to feel? I held back that thought as he gave me a small smile, the tension in his shoulders loosening.

"Hey Princess. Hope I'm not too early,"he said, a heart-stopping smile replacing his previously timid one.

I smiled at the nickname and looked at the clock,"Nope. Right on time actually, Mr. Perfect."

He rolled his eyes,"Well, excuse me. I can go back out and wait a few minutes and then we can try this again if you'd like?"

I just laughed and threw a bye over my shoulder as I headed out the door, Roy right on my heels. Hopefully this thing wouldn't be as awkward as I feared it could be. And maybe just maybe, I wouldn't say something to mess it all up.

_ _ _ _

The waiter placed the plate of food down in front of me, the steam rising up to carress my face. It smelled delicious. 

We were sitting in a cozy booth at J. Alexander's, small talk and the clatter of cooking weaving through the building. How Roy knew this was my favorite place to eat, I may never know.

I smiled down at my Bacon Swiss burger in pure delight, the crispy fries on the side making my mouth water. As soon as the waiter was gone, I smooshed down my burger and picked it up before taking a huge bite out of it. I moaned as the gooey cheese and smokey bacon hit my taste buds.