Epilogue: Say You Won't Let Go

In the end it was me. I ended her life. 

Just like I'd ended his. 

They truly were meant to be together; it was a thought that crossed my mind a million times since that day -- the day that that she-bitch had shown up during our meeting with the Council of Elders and ended up stabbing the only mother figure I'd ever know in my life. 

It was a terrifying moment for me, seeing the blood seep out from between her slim fingers after she had pulled it away from the knife pushed into her abdomen. Her face had fallen, becoming ashen as she opened her mouth in a silent scream. Sean was screaming in the background, pain and anger flooding every square inch of the room -- I flinched from the sheer agony of the sound. 

But none of that was what spurred me into action.

No, it was the deranged cackle of Amber and the delight that shone in her eyes as she took in the chaos she'd created.

I wasn't in control of my body as I moved toward her. But, I could feel that power taking over -- that rage that had built the night I killed my father -- it was gathering in the pit of my stomach, slowly building. Before I knew it, my hand was around the column of her throat choking the life out of her, my primal urges egging me to not let go until the life ebbed from her eyes. 

"Baby, you want to come with me to visit Mama? She's askin' to see you." Jackson's voice broke through the haze of my reminiscing suddenly. My hands were shaking lightly under the tap, and I knew by looking down at them why I had been called back to that day. 

The scabs were healing over from Amber's nails digging into my skin were still there, healing over slowly -- a haunting reminder of what I had done. 

I was a murderer. 

Jackson 

I could hear him through the door singing to our daughter, crooning softly to quiet down her cries. I did my best not to make any sudden noises as to not spook him -- Tyler didn't let anyone hear him sing to his baby girl. It was their special time. But I was here, eavesdropping on their private time. I was supposed to be tucked away in the office nook in our bedroom planning Princess Sara's belated first birthday party. I was almost completely finished, I just needed to order a few things.

In the end it took months to get my husband back from the dark pit he'd dug for himself. For weeks after Amber's death he wouldn't pick up our daughter, he wouldn't touch me and he continually pulled away from all those who loved and adored him. It had terrified me beyond belief. 

My mom kept telling me that he was working through what he'd done, it was a trauma he had to deal with - and that some of us were better at taking care of those things alone than with help. I knew she was right but it pained me to see him going through something and not being allowed to help. He was my soulmate, my other half. I should've been able to help him. 

I'd watched him from afar for weeks as I held on to an ever growing Sara, who could sense that something wasn't right. Silently we waited, we coaxed, and in the end, we won against the inner demons plaguing our beloved Tyler.

Too preoccupied in my thoughts, I hadn't heard him finish. Leaning against the doorjamb with a soft, warm smile gracing his handsome face my Mate is looking down at me, amusement clear in his eyes.

"You're terrible at being sneaky, baby." 

Giving what I'm sure is an embarrassed smile in return, I shrug and plaster myself to his rock solid chest, enjoying the warm that envelops me as I touch him. His arms wrap around me almost instantly.

"Whoops." Is my cheeky response just as his lips touch mine. 

** Four Years Later ** 

Tyler

I never imagined that I would get to have my Mate. It was from the moment I knew he was mine that I also knew the Goddess truly loved me. Something inside clicked, I felt complete as I watched him play with the other children in his Pack. It was almost as if my whole soul had finally come together and my lungs finally had air in them after a lifetime of not breathing and this air was clean and pure. I never thought I'd experience a feeling similar to that.

But, I did. Three times more in my life.

Getting to be with my Mate, the love of my life without a single doubt. Jackson was one of the greatest gifts from the Goddess I'd ever received. He was everything I'd ever wanted. Handsome, intelligent and kind. He had a killer sense of humor, but only when we were alone did he open up and share. He had this way of making my knees weak with a single look from his gorgeous brown eyes. Most importantly, he was a great leader and a fantastic father. I liked to step back during meetings and Pack dinners simply to watch him interact with our extended family. He was wonderful with everyone, even those who liked to create discord among the mass of people. Jackson had the ability to make anyone smile no matter what the situation at hand was.

The second happened to be the birth of my little Sara, our beautiful baby girl. At almost five she was the princess of our Pack, I'd yet to see anyone (aside from her daddy) tell her no. She had my hair, her father's eyes, but she had her Mother's smile. Sometimes I could see little hints of Kira when my baby talked but I no longer resented the woman, she was the reason we had our angel. I still marveled everyday at the sight of her, unsure of how I'd been blessed with not only a handsome Mate, but a beautiful child -- and I'd get that chance once more, because today was the day that we were bringing home our little boy -- little being a relative term considering he was seven, but he was ours.

Dax's biological parents had died two years before in a car accident and the Pack he'd been with had struggled to place him with a good family. When his Alpha had come to visit he'd had Dax in tow and both Jackson and I had fallen instantly in love, as well as our little Sara. It had taken little persuasion to get the adoption process started once he'd spent enough time with us and agreed that he wanted to be part of our family. He and Sara were peas in a pod, him helping guide her around as she went to new places, her teaching him how to read Braille. He was our missing puzzle piece. 

I knew deep down that I didn't deserve this -- the life, the family, my Pack -- but I wasn't going to let anything stop me from taking it. 

I was a murderer, a monster and a beast and while I wasn't okay with any of these things, I couldn't change them. 

But one thing was for sure, I was never going to take what I had for granted because I knew where I'd be if not.