Hate Me

Sorry for the long wait, Y'all. I've got some not so wonderful stuff going on at home. Like Cassidy & Tora level stuff... Hope you enjoy. XXKay

Jackson 

 I had attended a handful of funerals in my life, but none of them compared to the funerals and ceremonies that were required to take place for the passing of a highly ranked wolf. Tradition called for the ceremony to begin at dusk -- a two hour long offering would occur directly after, gifts and food offerings would be placed on a carved alter to commemorate the loss of the wolf. Once the stage of offering was complete the Elders of the Pack would begin a small sacrifice to the Goddess that was followed by a quick prayer and then the Shift of Power would begin. 

Now, the Shift of Power was something unlike anything I've ever experienced. My own ceremony was tame considering my father was alive to pass down the title. However, in instances like this, the Elders had to do it the old way. Each of the seven Elders had to offer a personal blood sacrifice to the Goddess running concurrent with a prayer in the ancient language, kneeling before her as she presented herself (this rarely happened, in actuality but the books I read used the recorded instance that she had). Once the Goddess appeared, the whole crowd showed their respect for her and waited until she released them from their submissive kneeling to ask her to reach deep within the deceased or the unwilling and unleash their power unto the rightful heir. The heir, who was unannounced until after the almighty presentation, would step up and wait for the blessing and gift from our creator.

We were currently waiting for the Goddess to show herself, which seemed insane to me, and i could hear Kira beginning to grumble about the pain in her sides from our position. The cicadas sang in the thick summer heat, joining the crickets as they serenaded us in the night. Trace was growing restless, his hackles up as we bared our necks to the world. He felt that anyone could come and see his submission to the Goddess and try to take advantage. It was then that a wash of power blanketed us. Trace grew somber inside of me, his anxiety stilling in a single breath. I had this intense urge to look up, but no matter how much I willed myself to do it my body wouldn't follow my command. The air in my lungs evaporated all at once as I realized what was happening -- the Goddess had blessed us with her presence. In the ancient language, there were words chanted -- much like before, but the feminine inflection carried over all of the other voices. Then, as quickly as the ebbing flow of power was there, it was gone. 

We were released from our positions as the rattle of chains broke the melody of the night. A scent hit me  -- and Trace was unable to be still. 

Looking up, my eyes connected with the bluest pair I'd ever seen, and a hunger hit me -- a lust and need I'd never experienced before. Trace was growling now, a primal sound that rattled in my chest and carried over the clink of the silver prisons his limbs were in. All eyes were on me but I couldn't look away. I heard faint whispers around us, the low talk of the Packs as they watched. 

Something wasn't right. 

TYLER

I've known since I was thirteen that my Mate was a man.

It was an accident -- a curious young wolf gone too far over the neighboring pack's borders-- but it only took one moment. His scent hit me like a tonne of bricks, a mouthwatering combination of the earth and the heavy scent of rainwater mingled with a distinct tinge that I couldn't place. I had foregone any common sense and followed the aroma.

Once I set eyes on him, I knew. He was young, only eight or nine, but I knew then in the pit of my gut that he was mine. He was frolicking among the other pups, laughing as they played near the pond, but I paid no attention to the others -- he was all I could see. My heart had skittered as I heard a laugh and saw his dark head tossed back in enjoyment. I watched for a long time, hiding in the shrubbery so I wouldn't get caught. Our Packs didn't usually get along and I knew if I revealed myself I would cause trouble. I had just gotten comfortable among the bushes when I heard the heavy familiar footsteps of my father. My excitement shot through the roof. I was going to get to tell my father of my discovery and he was going to be proud! Only the best of Alphas found their Mates so young!

But, my father wasn't at all pleased with my news.

Since that day I had spent seventeen years being hidden away from the rest of the population because of my father's shame and mother's disappointment. Of being tormented by the man I used to aspire to be like. Seventeen years of being poisoned by a witch-made brew of nightshade and wolfsbane to keep my Alpha wolf at bay so I couldn't overthrow him, couldn't fight. Seventeen years of suppressing every urge to be with my Mate, of feeling my Mate be with someone else.

And it's been six days since I was seized by the Council of Elders for murdering my father.