You Can Let Go Now Daddy

This one won't be very long at all. But it was necessary.

@monicalj31

Tora

I sucked in a deep breath and looked into the mirror, taking in the wrinkles around my eyes. Time was marching on across my face.

He wanted me by his bedside and while I wanted more than anything to be there, I was too scared to face him in fear that the only reason he was calling me there was to say his goodbyes. I wasn't ready for that. Dad and I hadn't had a good relationship since Amelia's breakdown a few months after mine and Sean's Mating.
We still had to sneak around to even talk to one another on the phone..

Not anymore. Xi said softly in my mind as she tried to get a firm grasp on the feelings I had been trying to hide from everyone. She was correct. Since Amelia's murder I wouldn't have go behind anyone's back to see my dad, but it didn't mean I was necessarily thrilled about it. Dad loved her, no matter how much of a bitch I thought she was.

But I couldn't help but feel a slice of resentment toward Amelia. If it weren't for her, Dad and I would be closer. I'd it weren't for her, Amber would have never harmed my father in her escape plan!

But if it weren't for Amelia, we wouldn't be Mated to Sean and we wouldn't have Jackson. That thought sobered me up quickly. So, maybe I did something to thank Amelia for, because no matter how much I had wanted Nate when I was younger, I knew with so much clarity that I wouldn't be this satisfied with life. Sean had given me everything and asked for nothing more than my love in return.

"Baby?" Sean called softly through the bathroom door causing me to pause in my mental musings. "Do you want me to go with you?"

I let out a deep breath.

*
"He's been asking for you for two days, Luna. I believe he's only holding on for you." Dr. Breakert mumbled as we stood outside of my father's room, glancing down at the chart in his hands. He'd discussed the damage done by Amber and the severity of the wounds. He'd used words like fatal multiple times. I smothered down all of my objections to being here -- the fear of losing my father, who I didn't really know anymore and thanked the doctor briefly before pushing my way into his room only to stop short.

The man I had once known to carry me around like a princess and give me a shoulder to cry on was no longer present. No, my dad had aged forty years in the last twenty-five. He didn't look like he could lift a plate let alone a six year old. I knew part of this was the Mate bond, losing his second chance was going to be the end of him.

The simple thought brought tears to my eyes.

"C'mere... baby... girl." It was halting and pained, but it was that same, sweet voice - the one that got me through so many bad nights and terrifying moments. He sounded the same as he had when I was ten, and I had broken a vase in the Alpha's house, and when I was thirteen and I had started my period in class. I so wanted him to hug me as he had when he was comforting me through the hard times. I used to believe that his hugs could get me through anything. I used to believe that he would always be there for me no matter what obstacles we had to face.

Now I knew differently.

It had taken a woman to create this distance between us. A vindictive mean woman who, even in her death, was going to widen the space beyond repair. I wanted to be angry at him. To tell him that no matter how much I loved him, I also hated him. He had allowed this to happen. He'd been too weak to correct her actions and too spineless to put his foot down and now it was too late. We couldn't repair what had been broken.

"So.. sorry.." his words were no more than whispers of breath. I knew he didn't have long. This was it, wasn't it? I was angry at dad, there was really no denying it. He was leaving me, just as he had before when I had needed him to be there for me. He was taking himself away from me. I couldn't get him back after this.

I knew he'd continue to fight the urge to go as long as I didn't tell him what he wanted to hear, I knew he was fighting the calling of the Goddess.

Did I understand choosing another being over my child? No, because no matter how much I loved Sean, Jackson would come first. Always. But did I want him to stick around and be in pain because of me? Absolutely not. So, I buckled down on the forgiveness I had utilized so many times in my life, looking beyond nearly thirty-five years of hurt and resentment.

"Daddy, I love you and I forgive you." I whispered softly as I took his hand, fighting the onslaught of tears burning in the back of my eyes. "You don't have to stay for me anymore. You can let go now."