Chapter 50- The Man

Congratulations to surfergirlad, hazelyourgrace and sammicuevas for guessing who killed Maia. This chapter is dedicated to you!

{CLARY}

When I stop screaming, I hear Magnus's voice on the other side of the phone saying he'll be right over. How could this happen? Could he be back? I manage to muster up his name. "Valentine." Jace looks at me, clearly startled. We don't mention his name very often, and when we do it's not in a fragile state like this. It's usually when we need someone to blame, or when we are incredibly angry.

"Clary, tell me you did not just mention your father." Jace demands in a stern tone. He almost always says our father.

"Jace. Valentine killed Maia." I croak out. "He's back. I don't know how but he's back." Jace wraps his arms around me, and traces the outline of my arms, trying to sooth my shakiness.

"I'll protect you," Jace promises me. "I swear, I will always protect you."

"He's going to try to hurt our children, Jace." I sob, the shakiness returning. He doesn't respond, but simply pulls me into his lap. I weep until his shirt is soaked, and I'm pretty sure he even shed a few tears. Jace doesn't cry. Ever.

"I'll protect you," he repeats again, trying to put me to sleep. "You and our babies." Eventually, I'm calm enough for him to move us to our bed.

Then the images start again.

I gasp, suddenly awake at the thought. I fall off the bed, shocked.

Maia.

Maia moved. She wasn't dead at all. She shifted in the water. Her face lifts, and she gets up, shaking. Jace and suddenly Magnus tries to shake me out of it, but I'm too far gone.

Maia pulls out her phone, clearly trying to call someone for help, but then realizes her phone is completely soaked. Suddenly, as if out of no where, Valentine returns, dragging her out by her throat. But she changes, suddenly, into her wolf form. She ran away, leaving Valentine powerless. But something is different. He leaves for a full minute, before returning with a different girl.

He uses magic, to make her look like Maia. He slits her stomach open, and drowns her, this time making sure she's dead. The girl in the casket... Isn't even Maia.

Maia is alive.