Chapter 62- Maia's Death

**PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS WAS BEFORE CLARY AND JACE'S DEATH**

{MAIA}

I wake up to the sound of my daughters climbing all over me. It's been exactly a year since Jordan and I have adopted Melissa. Trista is learning how to control her inner animal. Melissa, being only four, never fails to be awed by her talents. Tris is now 16 years old. We want her to show the pack what she's got, and to kill the pack leader. We love the leader, but we love the idea of Tris being the pack leader more.

It's around noon when Jordan comes home from a long day of "training" with Simon and Jace. Us wives, Clary, Izzy, and myself, know better, though. They enjoy messing around with demons and what not. "How are my girls?" Jordan shouts as he scoops Melissa up from the couch and kisses my cheek. Melissa replies with a soft giggle, and Trista with a grin as wide as her fathers.

"Dad, I think I've finally got the hang of this whole, 'Pack leader', thing. Could you take me out tomorrow so I could beat the crap out of Bernard?" Bernard is not the toughest pack leader.

Jordan looks over at me with a confused look "What do you think? Should I say 'Thats my girl!' Like the werewolf I am, or 'Shame on you!' Like the responsible parent I'm not?" I shrug my shoulders in response.

"I'm meeting Clary tomorrow afternoon, I could take Tris along so she could set a time for the fight. We're meeting a couple of blocks from the station. It's fine with me if it's fine with you." I bite my lip. That was a total lie, and I'm so hoping Jordan will see through it. I'm not ready for Trista to be a pack leader. Just like I'm not ready for Melissa to be going to kindergarten next year. But I guess it has to happen sometime.

THE NEXT DAY

As Trista struts down the street to go challenge the pack leader, I wait patiently for Clary to show up, late, as usual. Irritated, I call her cell demanding to know what was taking so long. "Clary, I don't have all day. Please hurry." I hang up the phone, right as an older man approaches me. I brush off the strange feeling. What's the worst this man could do to me? I'm a werewolf. As he comes into the light better, I recognize him.

I gasp as I realize I had spoken to soon. Daniel. As. A werewolf.

"Well, well well. So we meet again, little sister," Daniel smirks at me.

"I... Daniel, I thought you were dead," I choke out. He shakes his head no, and launches at me full force.

{CLARY}

I listen to Maia's impatient voicemail as I half jog to the street we're meeting at. I hang up, and start stuffing my phone in my pocket as I approach a large figure. "Maia, I'm so sorry I'm l-" the figure turns his head and faces me. "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were my friend." The man smiles at me, his white teeth shimmering. I notice his bold figure and large brown eyes are just like Maia's.

Before I could introduce myself, I notice Maia lying on the ground with blood splattered everywhere. She's breathing hard. "By the Angel!" I shout, crouching next to her. "What happened?!" Maia points at the man who is backing away slowly

"Daniel," she croaks quietly. "Trista is at the station! He"ll kill her," Maia would have thrown me off of her to protect her daughter if she had had the strength... Or if she were still breathing. I quickly wipe the streaming tears from my face and follow Daniel to the station.

"TRISTA!" I yell loudly as I enter the station. Daniel is no where to be found. "Trista!" I sigh gratefully when she runs over to me "There is no time to explain, you have to come with me," I yell over the sound of other wolves

"No!" She yells back, "I have to challenge the leader!" I plead her with my eyes. I'm begging her to not make me say it now, but I will of she doesn't come. "No, Aunt Clary. I can't."

"Daniel is here. I have to get you to safety." Tris whips her head around, eyes bugging from out of her head. She nods and allows me to pull her to where Bat is waiting. "Take her. I'll take care of Daniel." Bat nods at me and drags Trista home. I pull Luke aside and whisper into his hear. He has just moved back home and is also trying to be the pack leader again. I tell him to get the pack to kill Daniel, and that I'm going to retrieve Maia.

LATER

I take Maia's now cold body off the ground and carry her to Jordan's house. Trista and Melissa are grieving their mothers death while the rest of us are in shock. It's just so hard to believe that she's gone. I miss her, and she's only been gone for a couple of hours. Life won't be the same until we are all reunited with our friend.