Chapter 27

"And please Lena, consider my request."

Lena nodded as she headed for the waiting taxi. Sure, she had got out alive, but she wasn't sure all of her had come out. Mistress Phoria was too cool about her offer. Hell, she was too cool about all of it.

As the taxi pulled away from the mansion, Lena looked back and saw the Lady of the House looking on. Swallowing, she turned to face the front and sunk into her seat.

#

"I said no!"

Shay glared at him, but Deacon didn't react.

"I'm afraid Shay, you'll have to do better."

She tossed her head back and laughed, "By Alucard! I will say this one last time. We have nothing to you with your missing Bitten."

"I see," he said.

"I don't care if you can't," she growled, turning to point a small Ruger LC 8.5 at him. Her eyes flared with anger as she stared at him, "Has a miracle occurred, Deacon? Can you  truly see, now?"

His roguish smile didn't faze her as he leaned into it, letting his chest come into contact with the muzzle.

"Do not tempt me, Deacon. I will have no trouble killing you, today," she hissed.

He let his gaze drop as she released the safety. Shay didn't take her gaze off him. Leaning back, Deacon shrugged.

"Thank you for coming, Shay."

"Bullshit."

Deacon arched a brow, "Well...was there something else?"

Shay set the safety back, but did not move the gun from his chest, "I see little Ms. Genie-in-a-Bottle didn't call to let you know what happened."

"No. She does not report, as you well know."

Shay nodded, "Yes. Well, Vlad attacked Ms. Gynn," holding up her free hand, Deacon kept his remark to himself, "Yes, she is fine. She went all darkside jinn on Vlad and his men, but she survived."

"Of  course she did. And I take it there were causalities?" he asked.

"Yes. But we were the ones to paid the compensation," she muttered.

"And did you think the angel would permit it to be the other way round?"

Shay sighed, letting the gun drop slightly, "No. If there was a way to work..."

Deacon laughed out loud, "You want to exploit him? Are you insane?"

"No. Yet, I wouldn't mind having leverage on the bastard then..."

"You could what, wave a magic wand and what? You might as well head to Hell and see Lucifer, himself, he would be more inclined helping you," Deacon chuckled.

Shay glowered at him, "You are starting to sound like you like this jinn."

"I like whoever will keep this from becoming more than what it is. Lena seems capable of preventing us from going to war."

Shay shook her head, "If you say so."

"No. I ask, why are you not managing Vlad? If he attempts to another assault on ..."

"I'm working on it. However, I can't stop him from leaving his house, now can I?"

"Then tell me, Shay, what is the point of you?"

The gun wobbled in her hand as she set it on her lap, averting her gaze. His words stung as though he had turned the gun on her and shot. Licking her lips, she took several  calming breaths.