Chapter 7

The bottle came from an antiquing trip, or so her mother had told her growing up. It was her mother's prized possession.  It was kept on the top shelf of a decrypted glass display case. The key always around her mother's neck on a copper chain.

Lena, the result of some so called whirlwind weekend romance also from that same antiquing trip.

All lies.

Wealth was a drug for her mother. Craving more and more material stuff. More and more to show up the Jones or in their case the Reids next door. The money was not unlimited. Her mother didn't read the fine print when it came to the wishes she made. If she had, she might not have wished the way she did.

"Lena."

Bruce's voice was gentle. His touch firm. His look, one of concern and love and worry.

"Lena."

She shook her head, "I'm fine."

"Lena."

"No, really I'm fine."

Bruce squeezed her shoulder, then placed the glass of nectar ale in her hand.

"Drink a little."

She did. Lena turned her face away from his. He did not need to see her mind whirling with the ghosts of her past. He didn't need to see her weakness. She would not let him see her tears.

"Okay. O--kay. Banehaus mythical never been seen or caught Sandman. The assassin of the Elite. Not really the bounty hunter sort."

Bruce continued to watch her. She squared her shoulders and finished her drink. She didn't want his pity or his concern. He could shove it.

"Bruce."

"Maybe not the bounty hunter sort, but a job is a job."

"So am I to take up insomnia as a hobby?"

She turned the glass as he leaned back, crossing his arms.

"There are ways around..."

"Not sleeping? I'm not wishing for insomnia," she said.

"By God, don't even joke about wishing, darling."

She smirked, "I know. Can't grant them even if I could."

"You can't grant them, but you sure as hell can draw on the wensen, can't you?"

His tone was accusatory. His anger wasn't something Lena saw much of. She always tried not to incur it.

"What? I can smell the after-myst on you."

She raised her arm and sniffed near her pit. She did reek.

"Why were you drawing on your wensen?"

"It's a long story."

His gaze was inviting, but she didn't want to talk about Deacon or the rest of it.

"So, I'll close my eyes and die horribly in my sleep, since insomnia is not a possibility," she croaked.

He stared at her, but Lena reached for the bottle to distract herself, but Bruce was faster and grabbed it out of her hand. They stared at each other for a while. 

"You'll have to tell me eventually, Lena."

"Sure, but there was another option in bounty hunters after me. Care to spill the name?"

He didn't want to change the subject, but he had been the one to digress with the wensen topic. He topped up her drink then his.

"Lucas 'Black' Stone aka Lucas Black."