Chapter 25

The moon was nearly full. Its siren cry was calling to Deacon. The call of the wolf fired up his synapses and it raced through his veins. He longed to howl up at it, to run free and give himself fully to the wolf. It had been days since he had changed. He sighed as he channeled the pent up need to run into the task at hand.

Clearing his throat, he continued down the street towards Crimson Rose. The sound of soft jazz music drifted out as a group of people exited the smoking club. He was met by a hostess, who guided him across the main floor to the stairs. They went to the third floor where Lucian was leaning against the railing looking down at the singer.

The vampire turned, holding out a hand. Deacon took it and they shook.

"Welcome," Lucian drawled, "Thank you for coming so quickly."

Deacon nodded looking round. It was early evening and the place seemed to be nearing capacity, "Certainly. Why the call Lucian? My man said you wanted a face-to-face, so here I am. What couldn't be said over the phone?"

The vampire nodded to some passing women and they chuckled taking their chairs only six feet away.

"Lucian."

"Yes, of course. This way," he pointed to an isolated booth further back.

Lucian undid the button of this blazer before settling in on the opposite side of the table.

"Would you like anything? A cigar? A cigarette? Chewing tobacco? Something to drink?"

Deacon scoffed, "No, thank you. Let's just get to the point."

"Very well. I was not certain I should speak to your right-hand man. I thought it best to speak with you, directly to avoid any misunderstanding," he began.

Deacon shrugged and Lucian smirked, setting his elbows on the table and making a steeple of his fingers, looking over them to the werewolf.

"I generally deal with Thompson, but he is currently unavailable--"

"Yes. He daughter is about to give birth. She is ..."

"Of course. I will send him a tribute of the happy occasion."

Deacon nodded, "So?"

"Yes. In my uncertainty, I will ask if you are aware that I employ a few of your ... how should I say it...the strays of your pack."

"If you are referring to the Bittens, I am."

The vampire nodded. His eyes still scanning the floor. His mind working different angles even as he took caution with his words, "Ben Lectum is one of yours, correct?"

"Correct."

With another nod, Lucian continued, "He had a shift this afternoon and did not come in. We called, but the phone is out of service or such. I was wondering if changes had been made and someone forgot to inform me."

Deacon raised an eyebrow.

Lucian grinned, "Look, your internal politics is none of my business, but I do run..."

"No," Deacon said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I see."

"He's an addict. Perhaps, he is on a bender..."

Lucian shrugged as he raised a hand, "Forgive the interruption, but he was on shift on Tuesday and he rushed off midway through. Yes, he returned but he appeared nervous according to what my manager said. He left after closing, seeming even more nervous and has not returned. You see why you are here?"