Chapter 20

Varis groaned. His jaw throbbed. His head ached something fierce and his vision was blurry as he struggled to open his eyes.

"Well it's about time. I didn't think I hit you that hard."

His eyes snapped open to see Lena sitting across from him, a large knife in her hand. It took a minute to realize his hands were handcuffed behind his back.

"Mmmmmmm."

"Sorry," she said reaching over to peel the duct tape off his mouth, "What was that?"

"Where the hell am I?!"

"Bathroom. If it gets messy, I don't want to try cleaning your blood off those rugs."

She had also duct taped his legs to the chair.

"You're insane!"

"Not yet. So let's try this again," she said, putting the knife under his chin, "I'm going to ask some questions and you are going to be more forth coming."

Lena slid the knife away, leaving a nick under his chin. Varis winced. She leaned back, draping an arm over her chair. She kicked at his case.

"What if there had been a body?"

"I have a guy."

She chuckled, "Sometimes I forget how strange this world really is."

"Strange?"

"Yea, you're right it's the wrong word. Easy question," she shifted to pull her phone out, and held it up for him to see, "You know this guy?"

"No."

She swung round and jabbed the knife at him, "Look, I'm in no mood. I've had a rough night. So let's stop with the no comment attitude or I might just stab you."

"I can't help you," Varis said.

"Okay. Then there's option two."

"What?"

Lena waved the knife about as she checked off option two, "I knock you out then I call Lady Saarloos and Sir Ivanov. I'll then deliver you to them and they can determine what you know."

"What?"

She held up the phone for him to see Shay's number, "Name."

"Look..."

She scrolled to Bailey's number and showed him, "Name."

"Now listen here, I said...wa--wait... what are..."

"Hello..."

"Stop...just stop! Hang up!"

Lena hung up and glared at him, "Last chance. Name?"

"He's a Bitten. He's called Ben."

"How do you know him?"

Varis looked nervous, his eyes darting about looking for a way to escape, "I found him."

"Found?"

"Do you think Bittens just start off in a house."

"House Saarloos, right?"

"You already know that," he said, coughing a little.

"Go on."

"Nine years ago I was called in for a cleaning. Someone from House Saarloos lost it one blood moon night. He wasn't dead. Ben, that is. He was barely alive, but alive nonetheless. Deacon's lieutenant was called in and they took Ben away. I was left to do my job."