Chapter 13

Mason pushed his way through the crowd of onlookers as he fumbled for his badge while trying not to slosh his shirt with coffee.

He managed to find the badge, but the fresh shirt took a splattering of coffee. He grunted his annoyance as he flashed his badge to the cop holding the crowd back then ducked under the yellow tape. He walked over to the group of CSIs and saw Frank was the coroner on the scene. Mason was relieved.

"What do we have Frank?"

"Male. Caucasian. 5"5' maybe 5"6'. Mid-twenties. My team pulled him out of that dumpster. He has multiple lacerations to the body. There are no visible defensive markings. I'll have more when I take him back."

Mason walked over to the dumpster and peered in, "Time of death?"

Frank was examining a thermometer, "Approximately seventeen hours ago?"

"What is that?" Mason asked, "Three?"

"I would say between 2am and 3am,"Frank replied.

"Any wallet? ID?"

"Sorry Frank."

"So, a robbery gone bad?"

"I'm not the detective."

Frank rose from his crouch and walked over to Mason. He pointed to a few of the wounds, "Any one of those wounds would have been fatal, Mason. No amateur did this."

Mason lowered the cup and moved closer to the body, "Are you saying --"

"Nothing until I do a full autopsy and blood work, but if I made an educated guess, ain't no amateur who did this, my friend."

Mason ran hand through over his head, "Well, I am working on something more pressing. I'll pass it onto Dickson."

"Okay."

#

Dimitri was checking the knot of his tie in the mirror as Bruce walked in. The angel was displeased to find him in his office.

"Sir."

Bruce turned his back on him to answer his manager.

"What?"

The voices lowered into low whispers.

"Put them  on separate floors...why?"

Dimitri chuckled as he strolled over to the chair in front of Bruce's desk and took a seat, and eavesdropped.

"No. Jonathan, this is a respectable hotel. We are not a hotel for pets."

Dimitri  noticed Bruce's stance tensing  and an audible sigh escaped the man.

"No. No. I said no. I draw the line with such creatures. No, Jonathan. I  do not care where it goes, it just will not be staying here."

The whispers rose an octave or two, "It  cannot stay. It could eat a guest. There is no insurance for that."

The conversation lasted for ten minutes. Bruce finally sent Jonathan away and closed the door. He straightened then shrugged out of his blazer. Dimitri saw the annoyance return to Bruce's eyes. The man had forgotten he was still here. Dimitri flashed his teeth.

"The vampires driving you nuts?"

"Vampires I can handle," he said wearily walking around his desk, "It's their tributes and the official sacrifices that are the problem. I will be glad when this funeral is over."

Dimitri laughed, "Yes. I've seen a few items that could be utterly disastrous. You are right to keep them out."

Bruce laced his fingers together and leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes.