Chapter 5

There was more wrong with this scene than the two bodies. Yes, no parent should have to bury their child and in that of itself was tragic, yet something else was — wrong.

Ignoring the obvious; there was: no blood, no signs of struggle, no signs of what brought Ava Ivanov to the house.  Lena also decided to ignore the dishevelled clothes and Chad's lipstick stained lips. What was also strange was the room did not look staged, yet Lena felt as though it was. She was regretting letting her stomach dictate her choices.

What the hell is wrong?

Tugging at her lower lip, Lena decided it was time to start passing the ball. There were people who needed to know. Word would soon spread throughout the territories. Other factions would want to attempt to push their agenda.

The Vampire Council might start flexing their fangs calling for blood as would the Lycans. The MA would need to know and the list went on for a few names. Lena did not see why she had to make those calls. She eyed Shay. The woman was lurking on behalf of her master, which was probably best. Shay at least was in control of her emotions, and less likely to become volatile at the drop of a dime.

She pulled a card from her back pocket and held it out, "Shay."

The clicking of heels sounded and soon the card was snatched from her fingers. Shay examined the card carefully.

"We need to start the process. The Mortal Advocate needs to be called, so mortal notifications can begin and whatever spin is required they can help you with."

"Who would you choose as MA?"

"The Elf. He's fair."

She nodded.

Lena flicked a finger back to the card, "Call the number on the back. The red digits. Mason Black  should answer. Tell him you're calling on my request. Give him the address and let him know its an off-book case then hang up. Got it?"

"Red digits. Mason Black. Address. Off-book," she repeated.

"Get on it then."

Shay's cell appeared and she darted away.

Deacon was skulking by the living room entrance and was intent on glaring from the distance. Lena ignored him. Taking off her left hand glove, she let her fingers sways again through the air.

"I wish. I wish. I wish you would explain what the hell you are doing."

Lena rolled her eyes. Her concentration broken.

"I so wish," Deacon drawled.

Lena looked  his way, "Gawd, you are so funny."

"What have you discovered half-breed?"

It was infuriating trying to work with the man snarling at her. He even had the audacity to flash his fangs.

"Fine. Tell me Deacon, why are there no wards, protections, talismans, etc.? They are no added mystical protections or weaved spells. How is it a son of the House Saaloos, and heir apparent has no personal protections? I mean I didn't even see a hint of any omegas. Don't they normally do the watching? Not even a pair of eyes on Chad?"

Deacon's posture changed sharply. He blew a hard breath out and felt the room change.

"I don't see how these questions are relevant."

Lena shifted her weight so that it was spread evenly on both legs. She slipped her hand back into her glove. The penny dropped then.

"Ohhhhhh ha ha ha ha," she chuckled, "Ohhh. Huh, now I get it. Why didn't I see it earlier? Ahhahaha."