Chapter 1

Lena stopped and the man behind her swore before side-stepping her.

"Sorry."

If glares could kill, she would have died on the spot.

"Sorry," she muttered again, watching as he continued down the street.

Looking back over her shoulder, she was certain she had walked by that motorcycle a block ago. She was certain too, she had seen yesterday as well.

"Well...might as well go and say hi."

Tucking her hands into the pockets of her coat, Lena shrugged and started back towards it. The person in the helmet saw her coming. The engine revved up with each step she made towards the unknown rider.

"Hey! Hey! I just want to..."

The motorcycle spun round and she watched as it zoomed down the street.

"Great, juuussssstttt...great."

Her head was pounding and she needed a drink. She also needed some cash. The landlord just took the last of what was in her pocket and she was walking around with butterflies in her pocket.

Shaking off the fact she was poor and there was someone watching her, Lena decided she didn't have the energy to analyze the situation, so she turned on the spot and continued on her way.

#

"No!!!!!"

Vlad's screams sent chills down everyone's spine. Ava was slumped against the dog. It took nearly six men to hold him back.

"Sir, you cannot," Shay insisted.

Blood-rage was in her master's eyes. He wanted to kill someone, but she couldn't permit it. There were rules.

"Don't touch my son!"

Lady Saarloos showed her teeth. A low, primal growl rolled out of her body. She shook violently. Fists clenched and her gaze fixed on Vlad. Her own entourage uncertain of how to proceed and the young assistant her the lady's side looked like deer in the headlights.

Shay sighed.

"Murderer! Murderer!"

Vlad shoved the men off him and started for the bitch.

Shay saw the same look on her counterpart's face and both of them flung their bodies between their masters.

"Sir, you cannot!"

"Please ma'am, you must not," the young assistant squeaked.

The silence could have murdered everyone in the room it was so cold. Shay lowered her hands as her master exhaled, trying to compose himself again. Slowly and on the fifth deep exhale, his fangs disappeared.

Lady Saarloos turned her back on them, but when she was composed she turned round, a fake smile on her lips.

"You killed my son," she hissed.

"Me! No...it was him. Your mongrel of ..."

"Sir, please," Shay said in a firm, but calm tone.

Vlad tugged violently at his sleeves, trying not to jump over them all to get to the woman, whose son killed her daughter.

"Sir?"

"What!"

"Might I purpose we call in an expert," Shay said.

"What?"

"Lena Gynn."

"That half-blood jinn?" Lady Saarloos spat.

Shay looked passed the frighten, young assistant by her side and faced the were-woman, giving her all the respect she could muster under the circumstances.

"She's on the list, and she's good at her job.  Lord Spectre used her last year, and he was pleased with the outcome. Her efforts prevented the execution of an innocent. That mortal police commissioner is in her debt as well," she said, "Or we can call in a mediator, but I suspect if we did, they would first call an investigator in." Shay let her words sink in for both parties before continuing, "It seems there is a lot of missing information, and you must have seen the newspapers and news lately. There have been a number of murders of young people. The police have been cautioning the mortals to be aware of their surroundings..."

"Are you saying my son and and..."

"Careful. That is my daughter you speak of," Vlad grounded out between clenched teeth.

Lady Saarloos growled something so low, Shay had to fight not to hug herself, but she didn't wait for another quip, "This could be this, yes. Unfortunate, but this could be part of this series of mortal deaths. I purpose we call in Ms. Gynn and let her make an assessment of the scene, before any further action is require."

The silence was long and deafening.

"Bring her then," Vlad growled.

"Yes. Now," Lady Saarloos commanded.