Chapter 15

Notes:

Additional Cast:

Frances Fisher  as Abigail Fitzgerald

Alice's POV

Faster faster faster... I need to run faster to maintain my endurance at my highest level. I can't become rusty because I am at college and my class and studying schedule is messed up. I prefer jogging outside, because it was something I used to do with my father, so he cοuld help me build a physical fitness and apart from that, I like watching the scenery changing. Running on a treadmill is dull, but the weather looks like it's going to rain, so better be safe than sorry.

I already feel my workout clothes sweat, a black sports bra and tights. As I run I take my white towel, hung on the treadmill's right arm, to sweep my belly carefully-because of the bellybutton piercing, and my face. I must have been running for 15 minutes by now, but I want to keep going.

The past couple of days haven't been exactly easy for me. To be honest, the past couple of weeks were a complete torture and it's all because of him. He's literally everywhere I go and I don't know how I haven't killed him yet. Everytime we come face to face, I just want to rip out that stupid, arrogant, cocky smile that lights his face in our every encounter. Since the library incident aka the worst day of my life, (generally all our meetings hit the list of the worst days of my life) I have to put up with this jerk for 2 evenings doing chores there. I have no idea how we didn't tear the building down since he managed to get to me again. We were quite nice and civilised in the beginning-except the non-speaking part-which was really bizarre and I thought I was in a parallel universe, but he brought me back to reality with his own unique way.

I wish it was over, but unfortunately I have to see him again later this evening for our last day. I am sure that I will hit him with a book on the head, that big English dictionary that I have detected. Maybe I will be lucky enough and he will learn some decent vocabulary. On the other hand, when I am with him, I feel it like a challenge. I have this impulsive need to return his quips, irritate him as much as I can and anticipate his next snarky comment. Also, it's spinning in my head, that last thing he said to me. Why did he mean by that? That man will make me a lunatic, and I have to stop thinking about him in any way. I turn up the volume of my iPhone, in order to not listen to my thoughts. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is on by Kelly Clarkson and I enjoy the irony of that. Well said, Kelly.

I look around a bit just to gaze the place and the people around me. It's 6pm and it's obviously the peak hours, since the gym is full of people working out. The place is huge and it has all the the appropriate equipment. Above my head, there are televisions and I see people lifting weights across the room. The gym has glass instead of walls and it has two more floors. One for group training, and the other with the boxing equipment where I intend to go afterwards.

I am getting off the treadmill and I remove my headphones to sweep my face again, and then I see a slim, blonde girl,with black sports bra and shorts coming towards me with a smile on her face.

"Hello." she says once she is in front of me.

"Hey!" I answer, feeling unprepared as I didn't expect she would talk to me.

"I don't want to sound cheesy or anything, but I couldn't take my eyes off of you. You are very pretty, and I am very interested. I am Robin." She says smiling, stretching her hand for a handshake.

I shake her hand. "Thank you! Wow, setting a target and hitting it. I like your style." I smile back at her. "But... sorry to disappoint you, but I am not a player of this side of court." I grimace and gesture, trying not to offend her "But if I was, I would totally do something with you" I wink.