Hippogriffs

Hippogriffs are famed and legendary creatures known worldwide as a symbol of impossible love. This is because the hippogriff is the impossibly rare offspring of a griffin and mare, who are considered mortal enemies. Some deny their existence altogether. However, despite the odds, this odd pair does occur, and this is the result. Hippogriffs take after their equine parent, and are herbivores. Their diet consists of oats and wheat mostly, though I'm sure they'll appreciate the odd apple or so. Hippogriffs are generally more friendly and kind than their aviary hybrid parents. Some say that their feathers, when plucked, turn invisible, and can only be spotted by their shadows.

Sometimes, hippogriffs and griffins are confused in the aspect that they're incredibly prideful, and are sticklers for proper ettiquite. This is not so, though hippogriffs are very shy creatures. A tame hippogriff is one of the fastest fliers in the magical world, and can carry and immense burdens. A common trait of hippogriffs is that they love affection, and will bond with a few chosen people for life. Hippogriffs can even die of a broken heart, like elephants.

One dying legend states that the hippogriff is only one possible offspring of a griffin and horse. The other is the fabled pegasus. However, no known records to date support this claim. But in this wild and fantastical world of magic, who is to say what is true and what isn't?