Symmions

Symmions are incredibly rare, impossibly tiny monkey like creatures found only in the remotest and most dense jungles Earth has to offer. This is because they are shy, easily spooked creatures who detest loud noises outside their natural jungle ambience. Reaching only a few inches long, you'd first think it was a small, green insect to squish promptly. However, further inspections shows that it is a far more remarkable creature.

The symmions are absolutely alien in appearance. Sure they have the vague features of a monkey. But their tails are akin to a chameleon's, and they have six legs, each ending in three, dexterious fingers. These said fingers can ooze a very sticky and effective adhesive at will, allowing it to climb on any surface given. Their eyes are actually below their noses, and they're entirely hairless, with smooth, dry skin similar to a snake's. Symmions are very social creatures and often travel in swarms of a thousand or more. However, a sad occurence of symmions not having a swarm occurs occasionally. This can easily be resolved, though, with a symmion's ability to attach itself to passing creatures larger than itself. Not attach, as in symbiotic, but emotionally and mentally attach themselves to bigger creatures that can protect them as easily as a traditional swarm. The host protects and provides food and companionship, and the symmion cleans it of parasites and also offers its own companionship. Symmions are omnivorous, eating fruits and insects, sometimes many times their size. A symmion swarm, surprisingly, does not share the common hive mind that any other insectoid species shares. In actuality, the symmions operate like ape species, with a male and female leader, as well as several others of various ranks. Naturally, the majority of the population of a swarm is made of up "commoners" or workers, scouts, and caretakers of the young.