Welfierewulf

Welfierewulves are legendary creatures of great magical power, found in practically any environment across the globe, from lush rain forests to barren deserts, from mountains to artic plains. Roughly twice the size of your aerage direwolf, their most notable feature is their two long, beardlike extensions of fur. Some rumor that this is the source of their magic powers. Welfierewulves are not only incredibly intelligent, but also have the power of speech, giving it even more of an edge on those who it deems enemies. Normally sociable, if melancholy creatures, they are highly territorial to all threats to its domain. That's another characteristic of these entities. Like most fae, they set themselves up as guardians or stewards of various territories, protecting the inhabitants and plantlife within at any cost. However, most are welcome to enter or exit at free will, providing they don't do anything to harm or kill those creatures within a set territory. Welfierewulves are omnivorus, but can also sustain themselves on the auras and souls of living things; thus the silver-blue patterns seen on its darker silver fur. Such entities are usually solitary creatures, though somtimes one or more will join forces and combine territories.

Unfortunately, these remarkable beings were reduced to near extinction when greedy warlocks and kings and such began finding ways to kill them, one by one, to receive the power in their beards and coats. But what those foolhardy beings failed to realize till far to late was that by killing the creature, you ended the magic, a quality shared by most, if not all magical beings. Their numbers can't be replenished easily either; welfierewulves only breed once every nine centuries. It is very difficult to kill such a being. Each welfierewulf had a unique, highly difficult ways to kill it. Despite this, it was still done, until they were forced to flee to the most wild, uncharted places they could find. Some even retreated to different dimensions, where magical entities such as itself were common, and humanity was naught but a legend. However, still a few remain in this world, lurking in the most remote corners left on this Earth. Though I fear how long it will be until even they retreat to other places, as their brothers and sisters have.