Chapter 24

I know Aron is right, I would love for me and Daniel to become something more than just friends. But I know it'll never happen. He has his life and I have mine. Friends is all we'll ever be.

"Can you help me for a second?" Joelle calls out from the kitchen.

"Sorry, can't. I'm waiting for Daniel to call me."

"Don't you talk to him all the time?"

"Yeah, but we haven't seen each other in ages."

"Oh you're skyping him!"

"Yeah, I am."

"Are you nervous?" Joelle asks as she walks out of the kitchen, her hands wet, telling me is doing the dishes.

"A little, yeah."

"Don't worry about it too much."

"Easy for you to say, you're not about to talk to someone you haven't seen in a week and who you really like."

"It's been a week Vi, you'll be fine," Joelle says, just as Daniel Skypes me.

"We're about to find out," I say before pressing 'accept' on his call. Joelle goes back to the kitchen to finish the dishes.

"Hey!" Daniel greets me, a huge smile on his face.

"Hey Dan," I say, smiling back at him.

"How are you?"

"I'm good, how are you? How has training been?"

"I'm good as well. Training has been tough, but good as well."

"That's great!"

"Yeah, it is," Daniel says, still smiling. Now that I see him again, I realize how much actually missed him. For a moment, neither of us is saying something and we're just looking at each other.

"I've missed you," I blurt out before I can stop myself. I blush slightly once I realize what I've said.

"I've missed you too Vi," Daniel says, making me smile.

"I'm already dreading for the season to start officially."

"Why?"

"Because I won't see you as much anymore and I don't like that."

"We'll still see each other."

"Yeah, but we'll mostly see each other over Skype and that's different," I sigh and Daniel frowns slightly.

"I'm sorry."

"What? Why are you sorry?"

"Because this is all because of me!"

"No, Dan, don't say that! Yeah, we won't see each other as much and yeah, that's because of your job. But this is not your fault! It's your job and it's your passion, so it's not your fault."

"Vi, don't."

"Don't what?"

"Don't make up excuses for me. I know it's tough on you."

"Yeah, it's tough, but you're my best friend and this is your passion. So I'm not gonna stand in your way. Not now, not ever."

"You're really the best friend someone could ever ask for," Daniel says and even though I just said it myself, hearing him say I'm his best friend hurts.

"Thanks Dan."

"So, how are you and Aron?"

"Oh, we broke up the other day."

"What?"

"Yeah, we had different views on certain things and decided it was better to go our own ways," I say, decided to alter the truth a bit, for both our sakes.

"Oh, that's too bad," Daniel says, though the look on his face and the tone of his voice tell me he doesn't really feel that bad.

"Yeah, well, nothing I can do about it."

"That's true," Daniel says as I hear someone call his name. Daniel doesn't even have to say it, I already know what it means.

"You have to go, don't you?"

"I do," Daniel sighs, making me sigh as well.

"It's okay, you have to get ready for the season."

"I'm sorry we only got to talk for a short time."

"It's okay, it was fun."

"Yeah, it was. We need to do this more often."

"Yeah, we do," I agree, making Daniel smile.

"Alright, I'll see you soon."

"See you soon," Daniel says before he ends the call. I sigh and close my laptop. I get up and walk to the kitchen, where Joelle is still doing the dishes.

"Hey, finished already?" Joelle asks as I start helping her with the dishes.

"Yeah, he had to do a work out."

"Oh, that's too bad."

"Yeah, but I understand. He has to be ready for the season and he needs to train a lot for that."

"Still, it sucks that you can't see each other a lot."

"Yeah, it does. But like I said to him, I won't stop him from doing what he loves most."

"You're too good for him, you know that right?" Joelle asks as she stops washing off and looks at me.

"What?"

"You're always there for him, you support him no matter what, you forgive him when he's done something wrong. Yet, it seems like he never seems to do something back."

"Joelle...,"

"No, I'm serious! I get that you like him, but you do have to think about yourself as well. Don't invest everything in him, especially if you know it's never gonna happen."

"I don't know that."

"No, but you're also not doing anything to let it happen. You need to make a choice Vi, either do something and let him know how you feel or leave it this way, but then you can't keep doing it the way you do. Don't let him use you Vi."

"You don't know what you're saying!"

"Maybe not, but I'm just telling you how I see it."

"Well, the way you see it isn't the way it is. I might do a lot for him, but he also does stuff for me. You just don't see that. And you don't get to judge him because of that. And before anything, we're best friends. Even if nothing happens between us, I'd still do all those things for him. Because he's my best friend!" I tell Joelle as my voice raises slightly. I can tell Joelle is surprised by my words and I don't blame her. Before Daniel came back into my life, I always said she was my best friend. But deep inside, Daniel still was my best friend. I just never said it out loud, because I knew the reactions I'd get. I mean, who calls someone they haven't seen in years their best friend?

"I see how it is," Joelle says before walking out of the kitchen. I sigh as I lean on the counter behind me. How did this escalate like this? How long has Joelle been feeling this way? Just as I want to finish off the dishes, my phone buzzes. I take out my phone and see I have a text from Daniel.

Once again, so sorry that I had to leave so soon. I'll make it up to you, I promise – Daniel

Don't worry about it, I totally understand – Violet

I sigh and put my phone away before finishing the dishes. If only Joelle could see Daniel like this.

Oh, oh... a fight between the friends. Who do you agree with, Joelle or Violet? Let me know in the comments! Also, what do you think about the conversation between Daniel and Violet? Let me know! And don't forget to vote for this chapter!

Love you all

Evy
Instagram: readracewrite