XXXVII

XXXVII

The Defense

         Tension fogged the room, making it almost impossible to breathe. Both men looked at each other with identical glares. Hector still had his gun pointed towards me as he stared at his son. He must have been wondering what was running through his mind.

Believe me, so was I.

Why would Axel defend me? Why would he go up against his father just to defend me? My brows were furrowed in confusion, but the assh0le wouldn't look at me. His sole attention was geared towards his father.

"I... I am confused, mi hijo," Hector spoke, "I am starting to question where your mind is at."

"My mind isn't anywhere," Axel responded, "you said you'd free her, so free her."

"My son, you must take me for a fool!"

Axel rolled his eyes, "No soplar esto fuera de proporción,"

"Out of proportion, he says! Ay! I am starting to wonder if you've lost your mind. Questioning my actions? Speaking out of turn? Esto es diferente a ti, mi hijo."

Hector walked closer towards me, throwing a glance my way before turning back to his son, "I was aware of how cerca you had gotten with the puta, but I did not expect you go simpático. Are you starting to have... feelings for the girl? Have you not learned that in this world, there is no room for feelings? For love?"

Love.

I caught myself before I busted out in laughter. Sure, Axel may have been attracted to me. His raging boner from the night before had given me that much information. But love?

"I don't have any feelings for her. She's a fvcking bxtch. You said you'd let go, and I was quite happy to finally get rid of her. Now you're going to turn her into one of your wh0res."

"Have you forgotten the crime she has committed?"

"What fvcking crime?!" Axel shouted at the top of his voice, his enraged tone making me raise an eyebrow at him.

"Cuídalo, muchacho!" Hector matched his tone and the room shook as they both shouted at the top of their voices. It was like that ground shook beneath our feet when they did, ready to crumble at any minute. It was ready to take them back to the darkness they came from.

Axel closed his eyes and took a breath before reopening them to stare at his father. He hadn't thrown a look in my direction, but my eyes strayed constantly from him, his father to the gun pointed at me. While they argue, I tried releasing myself from the ropes but sharing a look with one of De Donté's men, and the gun he so readily drew from his waistband, I decided against it.

The earthquake had seized.

Both men returned glares at each other, the gun giving me a glare of its own.

"You wouldn't kill her," Axel finally says.

Hector narrowed his eyes, his fingers taking the safety off the gun. My heart skipped a beat. I had never been afraid to die. In this line of work, you could die any day, at any time, anywhere. It was one of the lessons you had to learn - whether you were taught it or not.

Death was easy.

It was. It didn't take much to kill someone - for someone to kill you. Death came easy; the journey was harder. The pain capsizing your body, and you find yourself drowning in your sorrows. Your only thought at that point is to stop it. To stop death.