XXI

XXI

The Relocation

"Bring her back here," I heard a man grunt, "Nick wouldn't want her working the products while she can't even lift herself up."

My eyes didn't bother opening, but I could tell from the man's voice that he wasn't from this Spanish speaking country. American maybe? I didn't dwell on the thought, hissing in pain as the hands of the men gripped tighter. It was as if they wanted to feel the bones beneath my flesh.

And just as they held on tighter, I was released.

Thrown to the floor in a heap, my eyes fluttered open to see three men staring down at me. The two men who dragged me in wiped their hands down their pants before bumping fists with the unfamiliar man. He wore navy blue jeans complementing his dark jeans jacket. The hoodie was grey, the only splash of color he had on him. His green eyes looked at me, holding no emotion as they did so.

"This is your new room and you'll be working with us from now on. Boss' orders. The rules here are pretty simple: you get the product, you package the product. Really that's all that's to it. That's your job component," he explained with a bored look on his face.

He didn't wait for a comment before he continued, "You will be trained, again as per boss' orders. Something you'd've be particularly familiar with, I presume," he must have caught the look in my eyes because he added, "you will be given a new trainer based on the... unfortunate incident that took place," I could've sworn I saw a slight smirk on his lips.

"What happens between you and your trainer is, and will be, none of my business. What is my business is to ensure that you do your job to the best of your fvcking ability. You choose to step out of line with your trainer and he will decide your punishment. You step out of line with me and, believe me," his voice got deeper and a chill cooled the room, "my punishment will be much worse."

"Your shower and food arrangements remain the same as before. Should you choose to step out of line, they will be taken from you. Clear?"

I nodded stiffly.

If he was pleased, he didn't show it. His stance remained firm; his arms crossed by the wrist behind his back, his feet spread apart.

"You have an hour to get some sleep, get some energy pumping through your veins, then you'll be given food, a shower, and some new clothes. Any questions?" he paused, "not that I care to answer any."

"How long was I in..." I trailed off, my throat scratching just from the few words that I said.

"The fvck should I know?"

Silence.

"You don't have a Spanish accent," I whispered.

The bored expression didn't falter, "No I don't." He didn't offer anything else, and when he realized I wasn't going to ask anything else he turned his back and walked out the room. I took the time to observe, my killer instinct looking for possible weapons and exits. I noted that this room was a bit larger that the room I had before or the small box I had been stuffed in.

Next, I I inspected my frail form. I had lost so much weight during my time in the Fridge that I might as well have been a collection of bones in a large body bag. I hadn't eaten since the darkness has taken refuge and only God knows how long ago that was. I was weak, hungry and alone.

Thoughts of the young woman entered my mind. Her pale blue eyes haunted my memories and ached my heart. It was the first time I'd ever felt like this, ever felt this type of sorrow for someone who I didn't know. I think it was the fact that she was so young; or was it the fact that I had tried to save her.