II

II

The Assignment

   Another beautiful morning, where the sunlight snuck in the bedroom through the corner window, the birds chirping a melodious tone that instantly warmed my skin. Now, if you're looking for that sort of bright, sunny morning welcome where the birds are singing and all that bull, then honey you're walking in the wrong book.

This sun was a problem, though.

I groaned as my eyes adjusted to the intrusion before I struggled to my feet and stepped over to the window, using my two hands to pull the light red curtains over the glass. The touches of gold I had sewn on myself neatly flowed in the center, forming a thick line where the two ends met.

My eyes went south, glancing at the red digits that flashed eight forty-six. Time to get this day started. I was thinking more popcorn and chocolate for breakfast, then a repeat for lunch, then the same for dinner.

I started downstairs, turning off in the living room where my mother had her feet raised high on the dark wooden coffee table. She held her burner phone in one hand, the television remote in the other. She glanced in my direction, nodded, then returned to her daily browsing on the television. 

Rohan sat beside her, his eyes nested in a magazine with interest. Probably it was one of those gun magazines or worse - porn. He was my mother's... boyfriend if you wanted to add a title to it. They fucked from time to time, I shuddered as I recalled the time I walked in on them. 

Ugh, disgusting.

He was one of us, nonetheless - has been ever since. We had grown accustomed to seeing his face more around here, and after he gained my mother's trust, he helped out with jobs and distributions more. He was one of us. We trusted him enough to be one of us.

And now it was their time off.

I rolled my eyes and walked over to the kitchen, my bare feet whispering to the concrete floors, complaining at how cold it was this morning. Bright lights shone from the ceiling, my only tell that someone was in the room. 

Sitting with a white coffee mug in hand was my Uncle Seth. Now, Uncle Seth was the furthest thing from my mother even though they were siblings. At fifty-one, the man had the power to kill and make a joke out of it. He was the funny one, and my mom - Deva Callan - was the serious, all-business one. Would it shock you when I say Uncle Seth is the older one? I know, shocks a lot of people.

He wasn't a fan of his birth name either, Alsethian Callan. He always complained how, when he was a little boy, his friends and his teachers always mispronounced it so they told him to call him Seth. Once again, unlike my mom who wore her name with pride. It walked the streets without a hitch in its step. She made people know who she was and they feared to be out of her good graces.

We all lived here as one big happy family who just so happened to be running the top drug distribution on the coast.

"What's up, kid?" he greeted as he took another sip of his coffee. I could smell how strong it was even from where I sat. Rolling my eyes at him, I took up a piece of his burnt toast biting into it. My taste buds jumped at the crispy sensation.

"I'm not a kid anymore, Seth," I mumbled while I chewed, having a few crumbs spilling from my lips.

He pointed to my mouth and stared at me blankly which made me show him my teeth - well, I showed him a lot more, I rethought, as I saw his playful look of disgust.

"You are both children," Mom's voice sounded from behind me as she strolled into the kitchen. In catlike footsteps, she walked slowly over to the fridge and grabbed the carton of orange juice before reaching for a glass and pouring it half full.

"You need to relax some, little sister," Uncle Seth said to her.

"I'll relax when I'm dead," her small frame leaned against the blue counters that rested against the wall. The black hair I inherited from her was tied up in a messy bun with a few strands hanging in her face. Her skin was killer flawless, for a woman of forty-six, but a frown always seemed to be nesting on her face which made her look older - way older.

There was a frown there now. Complemented with her brows furrowed, I knew my mother had business on her mind. She jolted up and walked out of the room, returning with a file in her hands.

Turning to look at me, she stated, "I'm giving you a next job." Already?

"How many of these assholes owe you money, mom, because I -"

"It's a different type of job," she injected taking a glance at Uncle Seth.

I sat up straighter in my seat, curiously looking at her, "What kind of job is it then?"

She pushed the file to me and I opened it to see various pictures flying out, including a huge warehouse mapped out and detailed with a black Sharpie. Another photo had a man covered in grey hair, his cold eyes staring up at me.

"His name is Hector De Donté, and he runs one of the large trading companies in Colombia. Pretty well funded by what I've been told, and has all the business over there well organized - sealed and secured. Hell, probably in a next life I might have considered the man as a potential legitimate business colleague,"

"So, what? What does he have to do with us?"

"He's our competition. Rumors have been circulating that the old Colombian wants to expand his customer base and thought the perfect way to do that was through the States - particularly, our little area being that our territory is by the docks as well," she paused and let that concept sink in before she continued, "Your job is to get rid of their shipment. News is that three men are coming in, they want to see to it that everything's okay and arrives in the best condition so they can start distribution. That obviously can't happen. Get rid of them."

"Word in the streets is that," Uncle Seth paused finishing the cup and rolling it across the table, "Donté is sending his son as one of the three amigos, you know, to get him more involved with the family business. Boy's name is Axel De Donté, born into the business like you were, so be careful, kid. He might have a few tricks up his sleeves,"

"Right, plus it'll be more personal for Hector when he hears of his son's death," Mom said. "I trust you to get the job done. Maybe after that, we can talk about that promotion you wanted."

"Alright," I agreed not taking my eyes off the pictures before me, "when's the shipment  coming in?"

"In three days, so you better be ready," Mom stated looking at me with her 'no bullshit' face.

I confidently smirked at her, "As Uncle Seth said, I was born in this business. I was born ready,"

 I was born ready,"

----

  Hey guys! Short chapter, I know but stay tuned for the shocker of next chapter. You do want to find out what happened at the warehouse, right? I know I do!

What do you guys think about the family? Deva, Rohan and Uncle Seth?

Leave a comment :D

Vote and follow me as well *dances*