Chapter 47

Sorry for a short chapter. Thank you for 35k reads!! And over 700 votes! It's insane!

This is so amazing! So many good things have happened to me so far this year and I can't thank you guys enough! I love you all <3
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Lucy's POV

Nick? Why is he defending me? Out of all people...

He comes closer and pushes Megan. She stumbles back but regains her balance.

"Stop asking for so much attention." Megan says and walks away

I turn to Nick and say "thanks."

"No problem." He says with a smirk

I close my locker and walk to class.

The next couple of classes went by with people asking me what happened and saying sorry.

Those classes seem to take forever. I feel like everyone is staring at me. Well... They are.

As I'm walking to my seat with my lunch tray I am tripped. My food goes everywhere. A few girls are standing over me laughing.

I look up to find Megan and her possy.

"Look badly is getting the attention she wanted." Megan laughs

I gather my food and throw it in the trash. I walk over to my table and sit next to Gabbi and the rest of the volleyball team.

"Where's your lunch?" Gabbi asks

"On the floor." I say

"Megan?" Riley asks

I nod.

"Just ignore her. Here have my sandwich. I don't like peanut butter anyways." Gabbi says and hands me her sandwich

"Thanks." I say and I take a bite.

The rest of the day goes by Megan free. I tried my best to ignore her.

*NEXT WEEK*

I've been feeling sick again so I went to the doctor.

My cancer came back.

I've been crying for the past few hours. How can this be happening?

I'm sitting on the curb out front of my house crying into my knees.

I feel someone sit down next to me.

"Hey Lucy." I can tell it's Hayes

I stay quiet

"What's wrong?" He asks and puts his arm around my shoulder.

"My cancer is back." I sob and rest my head on his shoulder

He stays silent. I look up at him and he is crying

"Hayes it's okay. I can beat it once I can beat it again." I assure him

"Okay." I all he manages to say

Hayes POV

Lucy has cancer again. I want to know why Lucy out of all people gets cancer.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Even Megan.

I just hope she beats it again. I don't hope. I know she will. She strong and more beautiful as ever.

*A MONTH LATER*

Sitting in the hospital room waiting for Lucy to return from surgery is the worst feeling in the world.

I never know what to think.

Seeing her haggard is sad. I miss the old healthy Lucy that would laugh at the stupid things. The Lucy that would splash me when we went swimming. The Lucy that smiles at the smallest things. The Lucy that wasn't afraid to do something new. The Lucy that would dance like an idiot to her favorite song. The Lucy that would freak out when beating me in a video game. The old Lucy.

But everything happens for a reason right?