Chp. 28 "New Ability"

Start from the beginning

I followed her and Max to the warehouse opening, joining them in the lounge area that contained a couch and a rolling chair. I pulled out my phone and sat myself next to Avery, feeling like this was do-or-die. I was nervous, because I knew once we were involved with this place, it wasn’t easy getting out.

And I knew it would be even more difficult for me, considering my powers.

But we had to do this.

I scrolled to Roger’s number, staring at it and feeling a sense of remembrance as I thought about when I first called my mom. That same feeling of anxiousness made its way into my stomach while Avery’s hand found my thigh. She smiled, “It’s gonna be ok Andy, we’ll be with you through all of this.”

I gazed into her believing eyes, knowing she was speaking the truth. I knew my friends would be here for me no matter what we all went through, and I couldn’t thank them more. I looked at my phone and sighed, “I’m doing it.”

I pressed call, instantly putting on speaker phone to where everyone could hear. It was quiet as we waited for him to pick up, and then all of a sudden the ringing stopped. A deep voice echoed from the speakers, “Andrea Mason, I’ve been waiting for you to contact me.”

I felt my heart beat grow as I glanced around at my friends, seeing both shock and disbelief written on their faces. How was this man expecting my call when I didn’t even know him? Had my mom, Teal, called him after we left her house?

I stuttered, “H-Hi… is this Roger Boyd?”

“It is, your mom Teal called me Saturday evening and let me know that you and your friends were going to be searching for us. Why is that Andrea? Are you in some sort of trouble?”

It was weird hearing this man call my by my real name and not by Andy. I sighed, “Well, I met a guy by the name of Blaine Garret-“

“Ah yes,” his deep voice cut me off, “You’re the Healer we’ve been waiting for.”

I sighed, feeling as if this man knew a little too much about me, “Yes.”

“Now tell me, what exactly did Mr. Garret tell you about us?”

I looked at Max, knowing he could help me out on this if I got stuck, but I remembered most of it. I began speaking, “Well, he pretty much made you guys sound like a witness protection for the supernatural, but I know you are searching for a cure to the BD3 disease. He also told me you guys needed another Healer, and this is why I’m reaching out to you, Mr. Boyd.”

I heard silence on the other end of the phone while he listened to me, and then speaking once I was finished. He responded, “That is quite true, Miss Mason, but it will be dangerous for you.”

I swallowed hard as Avery’s grip tightened, “I know, but you guys need me.”

“Andrea, do you have a pencil and paper ready?”