chapter twenty two - broken pasts*unedited*

I shook my head as Bellamy darted out of the depot without a second thought, his heavy footsteps could be heard through the silent bunker as he let them fall more forcefully than normal. I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration while my foot kicked the nearby barrel, splashing out the contents. "God dammit." I muttered, just as things were beginning to calm down between the both of us- he had to ruin it with his selfish decisions that would effect everyone.

 I sighed as I pressed my eyelids together harder, letting out a deep breath. All of a sudden,  everything had started to feel different somehow. 

"Dakota, dear. Get dressed, god you're a mess."  A voice called out and my head snapped up in the direction of the voice, a gasp escaping my mouth when my brown eyes landed on the beautiful woman standing in-front of me.  My brown eyes clouded over with un-spilled tears as I looked around the room- noticing that I was no longer standing in the bunker.

 "Mom?" I called out with uncertainty that she was really standing in-front of me but what I was seeing looked so realistic had my brain doubting that what I was seeing was fake.

 The dark red haired woman walked further into the room as she heard my voice, her head turning and then her doe shaped eyes fell upon my figure, a smile slipping onto her lips. "There you are," she gasped out as she looked down at the girl in-front of her. "C'mon, we have to go see Caroline." she spoke again.

 My eyebrows furrowed on my forehead as I looked up at her, "Caroline is dead, mama." I told her and shook my head. She laughed a breathy chuckle but acted unaffected by my response.

 "Honey, you know Caroline is not well and besides, you get to hangout with John while I spend some time with his mom." she replied while kneeling down in-front of me, reaching out her pale hand to touch my arm- to which I flinched back- but she didn't even seem to mind my reaction.

  My eyes wondered over the surroundings of the room and that was when I realized that we were in our room- up on the Ark. My room was tucked over towards the corner of wall, paintings that were done with paint were starting to get old by the yellowish tint of the paper. All of a sudden, my brain snapped out of looking around- and back towards my mother. She grabbed the handle of the door and I could clearly see the lights of the Ark flickering. 

  "Wait, Mom!" I yelled out and my feet started moving as she stepped through the door without looking back. "wait, don't go please." I sobbed and reached for the handle myself, pulling it towards my body but it wouldn't budge. I banged against the door with my palm, "wait, mom!" 

 I swallowed as I looked at the grey color that stained the metal door in-front of me. Tears started to escape from my eyes and rolled down my tanned cheek as I jingled the door knob, hoping that it would open again- but it never did.

 "You killed her," a voice suddenly called out, breaking me from my thoughts which caused me to turn around. My eyes glanced upon a younger looking version of what I could remember from my father, but his growing beard told me that he hadn't taken care of his self in quite some time.

  "She's gone because of you, and now I have you as a reminder of what you've done." My father spat back with nothing but vengeance in his eyes as he looked upon the only girl who reminded him too much of his deceased wife.

 I shook my head at his words as my eyes widened. "That was not my fault, she did it for Caroline." 

 Marcus laughed with such ferociously, that it had chills coming up through my spine. "And yet after she was floated, you still stole from us." he retorted while he maneuvered around the desk to glare down at me. "You are nothing but a reminder of how much you are a disappointment to the name, 'Kane'."