( CHAPTER EIGHT - SLAY YOUR DEMONS )

CHAPTER EIGHT - SLAY YOUR DEMONS

"NO!" DAKOTA WAS STARTLED awake by the sound of someone yelling out. Upon hearing the panicked screams, she sat up almost instantly. Bellamy was the first one awake with picking to sleep right under the little girl. He looked up at her and reached forward to shake Charlotte out of her dream state. 

 She must have been close to waking up all on her own, because she was sitting up almost immediately after Bellamy shook her, apologizing for screaming. Dakota watched from her spot, a frown coming onto her face. 

 "Does it happen often?" Bellamy asked. Charlotte let out a sigh, as shame came over her features. "What are you scared of?" Charlotte remained silent. Dakota looked at Bellamy curiously, wondering what he was doing. "You know what? It doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what you do about it." Charlotte looked confused while Dakota just leaned back against the cave wall and listened. 

 It was the first time she had seen Bellamy act differently towards anyone, he wasn't the power hungry ruler that she had grown costumed to. His loving and caring brother, who left everything behind to come down and keep his little sister safe was flooding through his features.

"But- It happens when I'm asleep." Charlotte said, confused.

"Fears are fears." Bellamy explained, shrugging like it was that simple. "Slay your demons when your awake, they won't be able to get you while you sleep." 

"Yeah but, how?" 

"Yeah but, how?" 

 "You can't afford to be weak," Bellamy said bluntly, "Down here, weakness is death. Fear is death." They stared at each other for a moment. "Let me see that knife I gave you." Charlotte pulled out the knife that he had given her and handed it back to him. "Now, when you feel afraid, hold tight to that knife and say, 'screw you, I'm not afraid.'" He handed the knife back to Charlotte, who gripped it warily.

"Screw you, I'm not afraid." She said in a timid voice, almost like she was trying out the words on her tongue. She looked up at Bellamy for approval, and when he tilted his head and smiled a bit in silent encouragement to try again.  "Screw you, I'm not afraid!" Charlotte said louder.